Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 09-24-2007   #7

Thumbs up Tubes anyone?

As a forty five year Hi-Fi hobbist and Music lover... good tube equipment adds a demension that no solid state amps at any price that I've heard can duplicate.

You may or may not agree based on your personal preference for music and sound... but the airy, open, stunningly realistic sound of a good tube amp is just plain exciting.

I'm running Conrad Johnson's Act 2 series 2 tube preamp and their LP 140 monoblock amplifiers into a very revieling set of Wilson WP7s so if it's there you hear it. Someone who enjoys very loud music with predominately heavy base lines played through a pair of subwoofers may feel otherwise. The "right there" feeling of listening to unamplified, acoustic live music is what it's all about for me.

All the best... enjoy.
coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #8

Default if you notice

i am using a STEREO audio research sp3a1 but a tubed avp would be pretty cool, eh? i believe there IS such an animal out there, i just cant remember the name.
hifitommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #9

Default Re: Tubes anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppy View Post
As a forty five year Hi-Fi hobbist and Music lover... good tube equipment adds a demension that no solid state amps at any price that I've heard can duplicate.

You may or may not agree based on your personal preference for music and sound... but the airy, open, stunningly realistic sound of a good tube amp is just plain exciting.

I'm running Conrad Johnson's Act 2 series 2 tube preamp and their LP 140 monoblock amplifiers into a very revieling set of Wilson WP7s so if it's there you hear it. Someone who enjoys very loud music with predominately heavy base lines played through a pair of subwoofers may feel otherwise. The "right there" feeling of listening to unamplified, acoustic live music is what it's all about for me.

All the best... enjoy.
Coppy -

Can't agree more! I don't use tube amps but the difference I noticed when I inserted my ARC LS26 pre-amp into my system was absolutely magical. What the tubes can do to a soundstage is simply amazing. I do not plan to go back to an all solid-state setup..
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #10

Question Re: Tubes anyone?

Jerry and kennyt, I believe all your equipment is solid state. I have read for many years about the lush and creamy sound of tube amplifiers. Currently, most believe solid state has caught up, plus giving more articulate and controlled bass.

Do either one of you, have experience with your early systems with tube amplifiers?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #11

I have friends who run tubes, I seem to like speakers that happen to be power hungry, so for me, tubes would be far to hot living in Florida. (Oh my third grade teacher would be so proud of that little run on...)

I like the tube sound, if I went to them, it would likely be a tubed pre and solid state amp.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007   #12

The heat generated from tubes is certainly a consideration. I hopefully will get to hear a good tube amplifier soon. But, I think I side with you on the amplifier, I don`t know if I could trust a tube amplifier to run my speakers. However, I would try it in the preamplifier area. Especially when it comes to home theater and the power demands, transients, and explosions that occur.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
amp, audio, csp2, decware, fernando, pre, preamp, research, review, sa31, san, sp3a1, sp8, tubes, valley