Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Preamps (Audio & Video) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video-8/)
-   -   Integra DHC-80.1 No Sound problem (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video/5911-integra-dhc-80-1-no-sound-problem.html)

cujo8 05-10-2012 10:30 AM

Integra DHC-80.1 No Sound problem

I have an Integra DHC-80.1 preamp that is approximately 2 yrs old now and and without warning I lost audio form my 5.1 main listening area from all sources. In other words I have no sound coming from my 5.1 speakers when playing DVD/BD, Direct TV Sat, or Analog 2 channel CD. One day it was working and next day it was not. I still have video from the satellite and DVD/BD, but no sound in main listening area. I was able to get sound from zone-2 while playing a CD from my CD player, but can't hear the CD in main listening area.
My rest of my HT system consists of B&K 7 channel amp, Sony BluRay player, & CAL CD player. The AV sources are connected with Tributaries Series-7 HDMI cables and my CD player is connected AudioQuest Viper interconnect. The preamp is connected to the amp with AudioQuest viper interconnects as well.
After much troubleshooting I've isolated the problem to the Integra preamp, since it was still under warranty, I brought the preamp to my dealer to have it sent out to an authorized Integra service center to have it checked out. My dealer gave me another used Integra DHC-80.1 preamp as a loaner to use until mine was repaired.
I hooked up the loaner preamp when I got home and was shocked to find this preamp had the same no-sound problem as mine had! I started to second guess myself thinking that something else must be the problem, but again I was certain that the preamp was again the issue, WTF!
Luckily I had my old B&K Ref-50 preamp in storage, so I hooked it back up in place of the Integra preamp and everything worked again, which proved that the problem was indeed with the Integra pre-amps and not something else in my system.

So my question to you folks is......has anyone else experienced this problem with their Integra preamps or receivers? and if so, what was the problem? I have not yet heard back from my dealer or the repair center, but I will update this post once I do.

Jim

NickG 09-11-2012 01:42 PM

Re: Integra DHC-80.1 No Sound problem

Wow - I have exact same issue with 1.5yr old Integra - happened this week - Was looking around for insight and here you are - I was told it is a known poorly designed switching board which has happened to several others but this is not confirmed - I am just sending mine in - I live in Canada with no local service site so liikely some time to find the truth of the matter. Please -do post what you find and hopefully others with insight or advise will chime in. Overall the pre-amp is rated very highly - hope lemon trees aren't growing in the factory!

RAP 09-17-2012 11:04 AM

Wow... I have had this problem before and usually unplugging/pluggin in the unit would reboot it back But not, it's dead forever in the main 5.1 listening area.

I have an Integra 40.1 just two years old.

Any solution or send it back?

cujo8 09-17-2012 01:23 PM

I ended up sending in my DHC-80.1 for repair under the Integra 3 year warranty and they said that there was a cold solder issue with the 5.1 output connections that they had to re-solder them to repair the problem. My A/V dealer said that this was a common production problem with these Integra units and it has happened to many of them. They said the problem may show up sooner if the unit does not have adequate ventilation and gets too hot. I've tried to help the ventilation by moving my components further apart in my audio rack to enable more air flow around my amp and preamp. I've had the repaired unit in place now for about 3 months now and so far so good, although my Integra remote's power button is starting to give me issues :-(