Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 10-12-2009   #37

Default Re: High end processors VS low end processors/receivers, hardware differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
When people treat it like a hobby that is when you come up with these silly subjective opinions.
What are you talking about? We don't all sell it for a living like you probably do. Until you make money at it, it's a hobby.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #38

Default Re: High end processors VS low end processors/receivers, hardware differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Funny thing with electronic room correction, the high end users and companies will poo poo a product like audyssey just because it is used in non high end receivers.
Interesting, then, that the latest list of Stereophile recommended components lists the Audyssey SE as a class A recommendation...

Chris
Seattle, WA
Chris Gossard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #39

Interesting thread...I don't know how I'd do in a DBT, but I do know there is a difference between the Onkyo Pro 886P processor that I currently own and the Integra Research RDC-7 that it replaced when listening to music.

I had an Audyssey SE connected to the RDC-7 and it was professionally calibrated by the same guy that calibrated the Audyssey on my 886P. Since getting the Onkyo a few months back, I find myself listening to music less (most music is played through my Sonos system w/ a ZP80 digital out connected directly to the processor -- was connected the same way with the RDC-7).

True, I didn't switch one pre/pro out and then connect the other and go back and forth, but, to these ears, the Onkyo is a bit more fatiguing (same speakers all around with Paradigm Active 20s as the mains supported by a couple of Paradigm UltraCube 10s).

I notice a considerable difference (improvement) when I play a CD through my Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD via analog outs and the Onkyo set to mutichannel direct. The soundstage is better, as is the imaging and the music is much more involving...my wife notices it too. I have read some discussion groups that jitter from the ZP80 is a contributing factor to the fatigue, but I just had it modded by Cullen so that can't be an issue. Unfortunately, the 09FD doesn't have digital in so I can't run the Sonos through its DACs.

I think the Onkyo has a great picture and sounds great on TV or DVD -- high def or otherwise -- but I'm seriously considering getting an analog preamp for music -- Parsasound P-7 or Wyred4sound STP -- and get an outboard DAC to do the D/A conversion instead of the Onkyo. Problem then, though, is that I don't have my Audyssey SE any more, so if I get one of those, I'm looking at about $4K investment and then another $1K minimum for the DAC...might just make more sense to get a used Anthem D2V....

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
Old 10-13-2009   #40
wes

EQ is not a miracle solution, room dimensions, treatment, speaker quality and placement are the first things one should look at.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
EQ is not a miracle solution, room dimensions, treatment, speaker quality and placement are the first things one should look at.
Not sure if you're responding to my post(s), but if you are, I should have said that, with the exception of building a room with proper dimensions, I have already done all of the above.

All that said, most people don't have the luxury of building a room dedicated to sound. Consequently there are lots of trade-offs involved that EQ can help solve a lot of ills...additionally, it is high on the WAF!

ChrisG
Seattle, Wa
Old 10-13-2009   #42
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gossard View Post
Not sure if you're responding to my post(s), but if you are, I should have said that, with the exception of building a room with proper dimensions, I have already done all of the above. All that said, most people don't have the luxury of building a room dedicated to sound. Consequently there are lots of trade-offs involved that EQ can help solve a lot of ills...additionally, it is high on the WAF! ChrisG Seattle, Wa
OK then if that is all you have good luck, or as I read on this site "you could add more subwoofers to ease the load and provide more accuracy, its the nodes, the more subwoofers, the less effect nodes have, and nodes are serious problems with just one or even two subwoofers. But its out of sight, out of mind for most.

To understand how multiple subwoofers ameliorate the problem of nodes, consider this: imagine the nodes of one subwoofer to be like the ripples caused when a pebble is dropped into a pond. Then drop two pebbles a few feet apart. A person can visually imagine this. Note the ripples intersect, forming a more diffused ripple effect. Then drop four pebbles each a few feet apart, note that there is much more intersecting ripples, producing a very diffuse effect where the peaks and troughs that were very apparent with the first pebble become much shallower, not only that, but the diffusion will nearly eliminate the "wave" effect. And the more subwoofers, the more even and diffuse will be the ripples.
As with most searches for near perfection in audio, expense and room are the usual limitations.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
arcam, brands, classe, differences, end, hardware, high, higher, list, low, mexico, processors, processorsreceivers, ssp800, subwoofer