Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 02-14-2010   #85

Default Re: High end processors VS low end processors/receivers, hardware differences?

The quality of the parts is important to the sound.

Cheap resistors will add noise (distortion) to the signal. Very expensive resisters will add a lot less noise.

Capacitors hold and release the signal, causing the signal to be smeared (distortion). This would be heard as lack of detail.
More expensive caps release the signal much quicker, thereby reducing the smearing and giving you better detail.

While you might not notice that there is distortion in the signal, if you could magically instantly replace all the cheap parts
with really good parts you would notice the difference.

Here is a simple real life example:

I have a Moscode 300 power amp. After having it repaired and getting slight mods from George Kaye, the designer,
I cheap bridge rectifier and replaced it with four discrete high speed diodes. This alone made a noticeable improvement
in the sound.

Your higher priced pre/pro should have much better quality parts, a heftier power supply and higher quality circuit boards.
It will also have more types of digital processing.

I will be getting an Outlaw 997 when it comes out. While it is not a super high end pre/pro it is sold direct so it should be equal to a $3000 US unit. Look it up and notice all the features. If Outlaw didn't have to pay for the licenses for all the processing it
would cost a lot less. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/997.html
Rob I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #86

Default Re: High end processors VS low end processors/receivers, hardware differences?

Well, I just bought a Classe ssp-600. It replaces my B&K reference preamp-processor, hardly a low end device.

It is night and day. Thunderous bass, silky high even in the surround channels, deep, really deep soundstage.

I'm a more than happy owner.
Daniel-a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob I View Post

Cheap resistors will add noise (distortion) to the signal. Very expensive resisters will add a lot less noise.

Capacitors hold and release the signal, causing the signal to be smeared (distortion). This would be heard as lack of detail.
More expensive caps release the signal much quicker, thereby reducing the smearing and giving you better detail.

While you might not notice that there is distortion in the signal, if you could magically instantly replace all the cheap parts

I have a Moscode 300 power amp. After having it repaired and getting slight mods from George Kaye, the designer,
I cheap bridge rectifier and replaced it with four discrete high speed diodes. This alone made a noticeable improvement
in the sound.

Your higher priced pre/pro should have much better quality parts, a heftier power supply and higher quality circuit boards.

I will be getting an Outlaw 997 when it comes out. While it is not a super high end pre/pro it is sold direct so it should be equal to a $3000 US unit. Look it up and notice all the features. If Outlaw didn't have to pay for the licenses for all the processing it
I would be careful about equating expense of discrete electronic parts using in audio circuits with quality of performance. Especially when marketing promoters get involved. Circuit modifications certainly can be an improvement. But saying sound is "smeared' because a capacitor "holds" the signal too long indicates to me a lack of fundamental knowledge of electronics, certainly capacitors, some marketing person's verbage to extract profit, and misconstruing of the design and purpose of capacitors. Those who sell very expensive capacitors need a sales pitch to convince buyers. When I bought the parts for Bob Carver when I convinced him to build the world's first really high powered amp (150 watts was the largest "audiophile" amp then), I did purchase the same "low noise" film resistors (higher wattage resistors do have less noise) that our company was supplying NASA, but I chose higher wattage capacity than specified as higher wattage capacity does lower noise. But electrons move at the speed of light, seems few people know that from what I have been hearing anyway. The release of electrons is instantaneous and is dictated by the circuit. Capacitors store electrons, they have no interest in "holding" electrons or slowing their release, nor are electrons interested in moving slower or faster than the speed of light to suit audiophiles. And subjective listening is SO difficult to control.
DaveLadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #88

I like to ask everyone in this thread, Which one audio device is best for use. Brand vice, Quality vice, Sound vice and so on.
Old 02-14-2010   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by maadi View Post
I like to ask everyone in this thread, Which one audio device is best for use. Brand vice, Quality vice, Sound vice and so on.
As long as it's a vice, it should make us happy!
Daniel-a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maadi
All the game of Power supplies will probably include better components. That's make a difference.
Probably? I asked for some kind of proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob I

in the sound.

Really? Do you have anything to back up these "statements"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel-a
Well, I just bought a Classe ssp-600. It replaces my B&K reference preamp-processor, hardly a low end device.

It is night and day. Thunderous bass, silky high even in the surround channels, deep, really deep soundstage.

I'm a more than happy owner.
I guess it must be true since you said it, so much for wanting the best, you do not have HDMI or room correction.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
arcam, brands, classe, differences, end, hardware, high, higher, list, low, mexico, processors, processorsreceivers, ssp800, subwoofer