Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Preamps (Audio & Video) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video-8/)
-   -   Marantz vs Rotel vs Anthem (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video/3233-marantz-vs-rotel-vs-anthem.html)

audiofan 03-21-2009 01:25 PM

Marantz vs Rotel vs Anthem

I would be interested in anyone with commentary on the mix of the Marantz AV8003 and the MM8003. I listened to them last weekend and oh boy oh boy do they sound great. However, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on Marantz vs Rotel's 1068 and their digital amps vs. the fun world of Anthem's Preamps and Amps. With regards to Speakers, I am partial to Paradigm...but thats just my opinion

JohnB 03-24-2009 05:42 AM

Re: Marantz vs Rotel vs Anthem

I haven't done any direct comparisons but have had Anthem and Rotel equipment in the past (an AVM20 and various Rotel preamps and amps) and have been very impressed and very happy with them. I know I would be very satisfied with either. I would go with the Rotel if my budget didn't stretch to the Anthem AVM50 or the Statement pieces (have been looking at the new Rotel preamp). I tried to check out the Rotel digital amps but my local dealer said I wouldn't like them (a dealer I won't go back to). I've read good reviews of the Marantz too.

I think Paradigm makes great speakers, I recently switched to a pair of PSB Imagine B's and love them. They replaced a set of Vienna Acoustic tower's (moved to a small apartment with thin walls so was trying to control the sound and thought the monitors would be easier to handle than the towers) which when I was in a house were amazing. I checked out some of the Paradigm's when shopping for the smaller speakers and just found I preferred the PSB's but that was what worked for me/my music - I still think I would have been very satisfied with the Paradigm's as well.

Sorry I'm not more definitive here.

John

audiofan 03-27-2009 10:50 PM

Thanks, John B for your comments, I very much appreciate them. If anyone has opinions they would like to share, I am all ears.

Butch 04-22-2009 10:14 AM

I'm using the AV8003 in conjunction with an Anthem A5 amp driving Paradigm Studio 100's along with the rest of the studio series 5.1 system.

I can't speak to you question of direct comparisons of the Marantz, Rotel and Anthem pre-amps as I've not had the opportunity to listen to them in side by side comparisons. I do, however have some perspective on Rotel vs. Anthem amps.

Before springing for the AV8003 I was using a Marantz SR19 receiver. I had made the decision to move to separates and was able to bring a Rotel multi channel amp home for a week and using the pre-outs from the receiver I gave it a pretty good work out. To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with the up-front, bright sound of the Rotel. I (by far) preferred the sound of the SR19 by itself. I did the same with the Anthem A5 and quit looking. The Anthem sounded sweeter with better bass and midrange. The speakers came to life in ways the SR19 was never able to achieve and had a smoother, more refined top end than with the Rotel.

In my current set-up of AV8003 and A5 I am as completely and thoroughly satisfied with the sound as I have ever been. The auto calibration of the audio by way of Audyssey’s MultEQ is phenomenal. For the first time the Servo 15 sub woofer actually sounds right with stereo. I have a couple of caveats to consider: If you choose the AV8003 as your pre/pro don't expect terrific video scaling and unless you are very proficient with programmable remote controllers, don't even try to figure out the one that comes bundled with the AV8003. Save yourself a huge headache and buy a Harmony.

ChiefTK 04-22-2009 05:01 PM

I currently use a Lexicon MC-12B prepro (not the HDMI version) and am still trying to figure out what to replace it with. I am reasonably satisfied with the audio capability of the Lexicon and prefer to maintain at least that level of audio capability.

Two possibilities are the Classé SSP 800 and the Anthem Statement D2. I had been leaning towards the Classé, but they still do not decode the high def audio and no one can provide definitive information on the subject. I am not going to sink $8K into something that doesn't produce the high def codecs.

I have read a few reviews on the Anthem Statement D2 and they are all fairly impressive, especially the video switching and ARC. Does anyone have any experience with this unit and, if so, what are your impressions regarding its audio performance. I am convinced the video performnce is splendid.

Thanks for any help.

audiofan 04-24-2009 08:23 PM

Hi Butch and ChiefTK,
Thank you very much for your commentary. The fun part about this hobby is that their are no wrong answers it seems. When you hit a certain price range things can get very very fun. Thanks for sharing