Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 12-31-2008   #1

Smile new Krell 1200 a/v processor; any news???

When I signed on to participate in the Home Theater give-a-way; it directed me to the Krell web page; and they had a brief desciption of an upgrade to their exisiing Krell 1000; calling it the 1200; with 24/192 dacs; new HD audio processing; hdmi switching; and seems to be what hi-end users are looking for; who can't affort there new top of line Krell evo 707; which goes for over $20k. Anyone hear of pricing; quality; or differences in performance and features from the 707. I know Kenny is posting his review of the 707 tomorrow; looking forward to that...
Thoughts of performance and features vs Meridian 861 and Lexicon...who does what well and where?
Happy New Year...
mribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #2

Default Re: new Krell 1200 a/v processor; any news???

Mribob,

The 1200 is an upgrade to the 1000, it doesn't have the analog section of the 707, and I don't think it uses Krells CAST connections either, if you are going to use it with Krells amps, you want to use the CAST if you can as it is a big step up.

How does the Krell compare to the 861??? Well, I used the 861v4 for a few years, and it is one of the best pre/pro's made, but the Krell Evo 707 is more accurate and clearer, the 861 may be just slightly more easy in it's reproduction but the bass from the Krell is unbelievable, I wouldn't have thought a pre/pro would alter the bass characteristics so much in such a positive way until I used the 707. I can not speaker for the 1000/1200 as I haven't had them in my rig.

The new Lexicon stuff is really good for HT, but not so much for music. If you run a dedicated HT and don't listen to music in it, that's a reasonable choice, for music, the 861 and Krell 707 are top notch, and while the 861 is a bit more open and relaxed, the Krell is so damn clean and clear it's scary, for music I am totally hooked on the Krell, though I can and would also gladly live with the 861 and a G98DH as a transport.

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #3

I got my Krell 707 in September to replace a Krell HTS 7.1. At first I tried the Integra 9.8 but its analog section was nowhere near the HTS 7.1 and the only improvement was for Blu-ray soundtracks. The Integra is good for the money but it just didn't cut it for me. I can see why many people like the Audyssey room correction, but with my system I noticed that even though it did some good, it took away a bit of the live sound that I prefer. The Evolution 707 absolutely blew away the HTS 7.1 and Integra in every way. The fact that the 707 has no room correction is not even a concern whatsoever. Even the video processor in the 707 does a great job of upconverting HDTV to 1080p for my Planar 8150 projector. The preamp section of the 707 is absolutely incredible, supposedly better than the EVO 202 and close to the EVO Two. The build quality of the unit is unbelievable. A few nice upgrades over the HTS are that the unit is silent (no more clicking noises when switching inputs or soundtracks) and the menu can be displayed on any input. I also now have Evo 600 monoblocks which are a beautiful match for the 707. I don't have CAST yet but it is without a doubt on the horizon.

The 707 is an amazing piece, but I have to tip my hat to Krell for their customer service. Bret D'Agostino has gone out of his way to help in setup and software upgrades for the 707. He has personally updated the HDMI card to a newer spec and had the Krell engineers rework the software to allow for audio output changes from the newest PS3 software. The 707 is now proudly the centerpiece of my system with no regrets.
spearl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #4

I've recently spoke briefly to the local Mark Levinson rep about the ML502 and basically came away with the impression that as a two channel preamp the ML502 is not as good musically as their regular 2 channel preamps (ie. 326s). It's interesting that we're hearing comments that with the 707, Krell has achieved better 2 channel performance than their own 202. Still for me it's just so much money for me to cough up for just one piece. The problem is processors have a much shorter shelf life than two channel preamps. It's too bad Krell has left such a big gap between the 1200u and the 707. Can't wait till someone do a comparison review of 1200U and Anthem D2 V2.
pfslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #5

The Anthem D2v2 is due out soon, but I have been told by inside sources 'soon' could be as late as December but Anthem has been know to surprise me and deliver things early, so we'll see, it promises to be a very flexible AV preamp and likely the ONLY one that will allow two independent HDMI outputs for the second zone, and that both can be scaled differently simultaneously, so if you use two zones (I personally do not) then this unit is a leader.

The sound of the Krell 707 is significantly better than the D2, not to bash the D2, I own them and they are a great unit, but the Krell is soooooo nice........

I have heard the 502 for audio and is was very good, albeit in a demo and not my own home (yet.....I hope) but I haven't A-B'd it to their 2 channel preamps so I can't comment.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #6

Kenny, I just read your review. I think I may have missed something. Since your early 707 unit and the denon 2500 transport weren't capable of HD audio decoding, were you using the PS3 for decoding and passing the LPCM signal via HDMI?

Thanks
Paul
pfslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1200, 525, av, electronics, end, high, kid, krell, lexicon, preamps, processor, review, reviews, s1200, schematic, transpo