Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 01-05-2009   #7

Default Re: new Krell 1200 a/v processor; any news???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfslai View Post
Kenny, I just read your review. I think I may have missed something. Since your early 707 unit and the denon 2500 transport weren't capable of HD audio decoding, were you using the PS3 for decoding and passing the LPCM signal via HDMI?l
Paul,

The Denon will output either bitstream or LPCM for all audio formats, it even switches automatically to the format your receiver or pre/pro accept, so it fed LPCM. Krell is sending me the update for the internal decoding as soon as it's ready, it should be very soon.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Mribob,

The 1200 is an upgrade to the 1000, it doesn't have the analog section of the 707, and I don't think it uses Krells CAST connections either, if you are going to use it with Krells amps, you want to use the CAST if you can as it is a big step up.

How does the Krell compare to the 861??? Well, I used the 861v4 for a few years, and it is one of the best pre/pro's made, but the Krell Evo 707 is more accurate and clearer, the 861 may be just slightly more easy in it's reproduction but the bass from the Krell is unbelievable, I wouldn't have thought a pre/pro would alter the bass characteristics so much in such a positive way until I used the 707. I can not speaker for the 1000/1200 as I haven't had them in my rig.

The new Lexicon stuff is really good for HT, but not so much for music. If you run a dedicated HT and don't listen to music in it, that's a reasonable choice, for music, the 861 and Krell 707 are top notch, and while the 861 is a bit more open and relaxed, the Krell is so damn clean and clear it's scary, for music I am totally hooked on the Krell, though I can and would also gladly live with the 861 and a G98DH as a transport.

KT
This is the first time I have heard you say anything that remotely compares to your beloved Meridian.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #9

@KennyT

Received my 707 some weeks ago, not yet being able to review it to its fully extent due to the faulty Dolby card (as you mentioned in your excellent review). I've heard, from various sources, Krell is about to send HDMI 1.3b cards to the present owners, replacing the bug'ed ones .... you heard something similiar? I know it's way overdue, but ... as you know, things take time!

BTW: You got the manual yet?

http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/show.php/Jackx_krell
JackX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackX View Post
@KennyT

Received my 707 some weeks ago, not yet being able to review it to its fully extent due to the faulty Dolby card (as you mentioned in your excellent review). I've heard, from various sources, Krell is about to send HDMI 1.3b cards to the present owners, replacing the bug'ed ones .... you heard something similiar? I know it's way overdue, but ... as you know, things take time!

http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/show.php/Jackx_krell

Good, we`ll wait to here how it all goes.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackX View Post

No manual, Krell is so far ahead on software revisions, all pending the new HDMI card and decoder, mine is supposed to ship soon, not sure when. If you update the firmware it will fix most if not all the problems I had, but until the new card comes out (which I hear is working very well for Krell at their corporation) you have to use LPCM for the new codecs.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #12

TY for your feedback, KennyT

I've just got words from the Krell importer where I live (Scandinavia). Krell will start shipping the new HDMI 1.3b at the end of February. The new CD/SACD/DVD EVO 525 will start shipping at the same time ('lucky' me, I've had it in order for years). Well, as they say, if you're waiting for something good, a.s.o a.s.o.

I've got firmware 3.0 (as you might see on one of the images if you tried the URL in my first post). I know there's a 3.1, but I have *no* clue as to update the firmware. Care to baby-sit me thru an update?

When you say ...
Quote:
you have to use LPCM for the new codecs
... I'm lost.

I hook up my Pioneer BDP LX-91 thru a Monster MC 1000HD-1M HDMI-cabel to one of Krells HDMI inputs, letting both video and audio run thru the 707 (I know it might detoriate the video signal some, but I'll later on add the EVO 525 to the setup, and I have only one HDMI input on my projector). In the video setup menu, I'll choose HDMI input as source for video (of course). But it's in the Audio menu I need some advice. What are your settings there, KennyT ?

TYIA!

Cheers,

JackX
JackX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1200, 525, av, electronics, end, high, kid, krell, lexicon, preamps, processor, review, reviews, s1200, schematic, transpo