Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Preamps (Audio & Video) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video-8/)
-   -   New high-end Denon processors (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video/259-new-high-end-denon-processors.html)

oddiophile 07-14-2007 08:08 AM

New high-end Denon processors

Hi,

At the Munich High-End show, Denon showed a couple of wonderful looking machines including their first pre-pro in 10 years and an extraordinarily flexible 10 amplifier unit. There is some information online but I was wondering if anyone had any idea when these critter would come to North America and what they would cost.

Judging by the specs and what I have seen online, the pre-pro is a killer unit with probably everything one could possibly want this side of Lexicon's Logic 7 modes and its overall excellent user friendliness . Has anyone actually see or (more importantly) heard these units.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Z Man 09-19-2007 01:43 PM

Re: New high-end Denon processors

I'm rather surprised that nobody has replied to this one.

Yes, The new Denon separates are the company's first in 10 years. But I guess the time felt right for them and now they're back in a big way! And by big I mean literally, the AVP-A1HDCI is a monster of an AV Controller. It's just as big as the company's new flagship receiver, and it weighs just as much (60 lbs). So you know that it's got some beefy stuff on the inside.

The list of features on this AV controller are many, and about the only high end AV Controllers that I'm aware of that will have most of what the Denon AVP-A1HD has is the Krell Evolution and Classe' SSP-900. But both are in the ultra expensive $22k-$30k range. The Denon is scheduled for availability this fall (Nov/Dec) for MSRP $7,000. The 10 channel amplifier (POA-A1HD) is also targeted for a Nov/Dec release at MSRP $7,000.

Here's a list of just some of what the upcoming Denon will have:

THX Ultra 2
6 HDMI 1.3 in, 2 out - xxyycc color support and autp lip synch support
Full Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD support
Dolby Headphone
HDCD decoder
Denon Digital Link 3, 1.2 Gbps
Silicon Optix Realta HQV video processing
Multiple input(7.1) uncompressed PCM audio via HDMI
Audyssey XT/Pro Room Correction
Pure Direct mode for pure analog circuits
Improved Denon 24 bit AL24 Alpha processing
New improved graphic user interface
Real 24 bit/192 KHz digital input
9 True Balanced Outputs (7.1 + 2 additional subs - interchangeable for zone 2 I expect)
Stereo Balanced Inputs
4 Coax and 4 Optical Inputs
4 Optical outputs for other zones
2 USB ports
4 Trigger Outputs
2 RS232 connections
Denon Control Link
Ipod Dock Support
Analog to HDMI Conversion and upscaling to 1080p
Wi-Fi for audio streaming MP3,AAC,FLAC,WAV,WMA lossless files from a PC.
Ethernet jack for system tuning/upgrades
Windows Media PlaysForSure
HD Radio/XM/AM/FM (independent/simultaneous multi-zone capable)
Multi Channel Zone 2 Output for dual surround zones
Zone 4 Digital Audio
Simply HD Certified silicon image approves connectivity and operability
Remote maintenance program
Weight: 60 lbs

For everything that this thing offers, The AVP-A1HD is going to give the likes of Krell, Meridian, Theta, Lexicon, etc. some serious competition. I know once it's out I'm getting one. I only wish that the US model were available in Premium Silver finish. Oh well can't have everything.

Both pieces were on display at the CEDIA show in Denver. Here's some pix.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...largefront.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...ates-CEDIA.jpg

http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/14...600x600Q85.jpg

And from the Denon Line Show in NJ:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...MG_0208001.jpg

pfslai 09-19-2007 02:22 PM

Now this really gets me excited. HDMI 6in and 2out. There's no high end processor right now with that. The Krell S1500 so far is only 4 in and 1 out. Plus no DTS-HD or DD-HD support. The evolution processor has been delayed forever.

Hope the denon will be here in Canada before xmas.

Z Man 09-19-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfslai (Post 3175)
Now this really gets me excited. HDMI 6in and 2out. There's no high end processor right now with that. The Krell S1500 so far is only 4 in and 1 out. Plus no DTS-HD or DD-HD support. The evolution processor has been delayed forever.

Hope the denon will be here in Canada before xmas.

You're right, there is no other AV Controller now or announced that offers 6 HDMI 1.3a inputs/2 outputs. So that in itself makes the Denon quite unique. And even though the Krell Evolution will offer TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoding, it doesn't have Audyssey XT/Pro, Wi-Fi streaming, or Terranex HQV Realta video processing.

According to what I've heard, the Denon AVP-A1HD will be available in both the US and Canada by years end. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

kennyt 09-20-2007 05:44 AM

Saw this monster, it's pretty loaded, and hopefully sounds good too. I am not sure if the HDMI allows two independent zones like the Integra DTC 9.8 does, and though only offering 4:2 HDMI 1.3, the Integra DTC 9.8 costs only $1,600! No kidding! I can see many folks buying this just to tide them over until the high end companies get their new gear out! I can't deal with the looks of the amp though, that thing is just butt ugly to me and those three vu meters for a 10 channel amp??

Z Man 09-20-2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 3200)
Saw this monster, it's pretty loaded, and hopefully sounds good too. I am not sure if the HDMI allows two independent zones like the Integra DTC 9.8 does, and though only offering 4:2 HDMI 1.3, the Integra DTC 9.8 costs only $1,600! No kidding! I can see many folks buying this just to tide them over until the high end companies get their new gear out! I can't deal with the looks of the amp though, that thing is just butt ugly to me and those three vu meters for a 10 channel amp??

The AVP-A1HD will use even higher grade DAC's than the ones used in their flagship AVR-5308, so the sound quality should be really good. And a lot of people have forgotten that a decade ago Denon made some of the nicest and most expensive separates available (think $40k pr. monoblock amps).
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...ar/DenonS1.jpg

But I think that many people have lost sight of the fact that Denon has its roots in high end. And after their departure from separates 10 years ago, Denon concentrated their focus on all in one AV receivers. And that has primarily been Denon's bread and butter, and now they are very well known for their high quality HT receivers. So much so that you mention Denon to most folks and they think "oh yeah the ones that make receivers". But many won't say "aren't they the company who made those killer separates?"

So now Denon is trying to re-establish themselves back into the separates game, but this time around instead of high end "audio only" gear, it's high end HT gear. And I think the time is just right for them to introduce the AVP-A1HD and POA-A1HD. Right now a lot of people are wanting to network their AV, they want to be able to stream music from their PC (iTunes, WMA player), have the latest and greatest audio decoding, and flexible connectivity options. This new AVP-A1HD offers just that (and more), at a price point that seems fair (in the high end realm anyway).

As for if the Denon will offer 2 independent zones for HDMI, I believe the answer to be yes it does. It does have 2 HDMI 1.3a outputs, most people only need one output so why the two? It has to be for a second zone. And a quote from some info from Denon at CEDIA

Quote:

The AVP-A1HDCI is a multiple source/multiple zone controller processor, capable of up to four zones and providing digital output to Zone 2.
By digital output, I take that as HDMI.

As for the Integra 9.8, yes it is a very full featured pre/pro, and at its $1,600 price point it's probably the best under $4,000 pre/pro available. It's a lot of pre/pro for the money. You mention that it's a good pre/pro to hold many over until the high end companies come out with their next wave of AV Controllers. Well even those high end companies new gear won't have all the things that many enthusiasts like myself want. Things like Wi-Fi capability, Audyssey MultiEQXT/Pro, HQV Realta video processing, and 6 HDMI ins. Even the upcoming Krell Evolution only has 4 HDMI inputs, with no zone two capablities for it.

If there had been a company like say Theta that was going to offer an AV controller with the things mentioned within the next 5 or 6 months for under $10k I'd be all over it. But even the company's sometime to be released Valis AV controller ($7,000?), makes no mention of Wi-Fi, Audyssey, HQV Realta, 6 HDMI inputs etc.

So for the immediate future the Denon is the most fully featured AV controller out there.

As for the Denon 10 channel amp, I guess it's all a matter of preference. I kind of like the way it looks. I would have liked them to be in Silver here, but there is no denying that the amp is built like a tank! Each of the 10 channels if configurable and bridgeable. Gotta love that internal design.

I would buy it also but it just isn't as high powered into 4 ohms as I would have liked. Right now my Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Series II amp offers 850 watts x5 into 4 ohms. So for now anyway I don't see me changing that out.

Seth