Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 04-02-2008   #61

Default Re: New high-end Denon processors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Man View Post
First the Denon is a fully balanced dual differential preamp with 4 DAC's per channel, it's highly unlikely that the Integra is a fully balanced design. Also the Denon will will accept streamed music via Ethernet and Wi-Fi, the Integra doesn't. The Denon has HQV Realta video processing, and HDCD decoding. The Denon offers A/D conversion on its EXT IN., and offers much more connectivity options, like 6 HDMI ins, 12 balanced XLR pre-outs, and 3 balanced XLR subwoofer pre-outs.

I am really looking forward to when you get your Denon AVP and put it through its paces.
Seth,

Actually, the differences on paper are pretty minor, the Integra uses the Reon chip for video, but has 6:2 HDMI switching and I think it can use HDMI for two independent zones (at least they were saying that at CEDIA) it also has 12 channels balanced and single ended, not sure if it is fully balanced throughout or not.

The other HUGE similarity is they both look like receivers, which I am not really fond of. Seeing how I run separates, I don''t really like the idea of a receiver in my rack, but that is personal taste, YMMV.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Seth,

<SNIP>

The other HUGE similarity is they both look like receivers, which I am not really fond of. Seeing how I run separates, I don''t really like the idea of a receiver in my rack, but that is personal taste, YMMV.
For those of us that like separates, and do not like the idea of a pre/pro that looks like a receiver in our racks, what other choices do we currently have or will have within a few months other than the Integra and Denon that has the capabilities of these two pieces?

MikeSp
MikeSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #63

Right now not much, many are coming soon, and I suspect by CEDIA (September) we'll have a goo dnumber to chose from.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Seth,

Actually, the differences on paper are pretty minor, the Integra uses the Reon chip for video, but has 6:2 HDMI switching and I think it can use HDMI for two independent zones (at least they were saying that at CEDIA) it also has 12 channels balanced and single ended, not sure if it is fully balanced throughout or not.

I agree that the unit does look like a receiver rather than a preamp, and I also would have loved a totally different design. But I'm sure if Denon had opted to radically change the whole look of the unit with a cool sculpted faceplate and different chassis, I guarantee the price would have been way more than $7,000. I think what helped to keep the price lower than other high end brands, is that they opted to stay with the same chassis and face plate of the AVR-5308. I'm sure by doing this it helped to keep production costs down, which in turn makes the AVP-A1HDCI more attainable for people looking for a high end preamp with everything and don't want/can't spend $30k for the Krell 707 Evolution. I mean looking at it that way the Denon is a bargain.

I was just checking out the back panels of both preamps and see that the Integra has 4 HDMI ins 2 outs, the Denon has 6 HDMI ins 2 outs. The integra has 2 optical ins,one optical out, the Denon has 4 optical ins, 4 optical outs. Also the Integra has 9 XLR pre-outs(8 speaker channels, 1 sub), while the Denon has 12 XLR pre-outs (9 speaker channels, 3 subs).

Seth
Z Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #65

Despite how it does look, lets be thankful that while we wait long for the esoteric camp to catch up, that we have the Denon, and already proven Integra DTC 9.8 out there working, and doing a great job. Isn`t that what this is all about??!!

Especially if you want your music right now!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Despite how it does look, lets be thankful that while we wait long for the esoteric camp to catch up, that we have the Denon, and already proven Integra DTC 9.8 out there working, and doing a great job. Isn`t that what this is all about??!!

Especially if you want your music right now!!
Personally I really don't mind the way the Denon AVP looks, and it matches my Denon 2500BTCI perfectly. And like you said it's what it sounds like and offers that are the most important things. I mean products like Halcro's SSP-180 and SSP-200 look way cool, but their HDMI implementation is glitchy as hell. The Denon's HDMI's on the other hand work flawlessly each and every time. So what good is it to have a beautiful looking piece if it doesn't do what you want it to?

Like you said, the Denon (and Integra) are out there now and have proved themselves to work. I can't speak about the Integra's sound quality, but I know that this Denon AVP is pretty awesome.

Seth

Last edited by Z Man; 04-03-2008 at 12:36 PM..
Z Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
192, 24bit, audio, avpa1hd, avpa1hdci, classe, competitor, denon, end, hdmi, high, khz, latest, lexicon, nuforce, processors, upscaler