Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Preamps (Audio & Video) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video-8/)
-   -   anthem D2 V2 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video/2460-anthem-d2-v2.html)

pfslai 09-09-2008 08:00 AM

anthem D2 V2

Just saw a pix of the new D2 on stereophile's website. Now it will do HD audio decoding! And it seems from the back that this thing now has 2 HDMI out. Anyone on this board who went to Cedia can verify this?

kennyt 09-09-2008 01:46 PM

Re: anthem D2 V2

Yep,

It will now do 8:2 HDMI 1.3 switching, and the two HDMI outs can independently scale to different resolutions simultaneously, rumor is they will also soon be configurable as two independent outputs for second zone, and yes it will do all the new codecs too.

Release is expected for Fall, but that could be as late as December. It will only raise the price of the D2 to $7,999 and will of course be available as an upgrade to current D2 users.

BMW 09-18-2008 01:53 PM

Hi Kenny, I've been waiting to buy something that is fairly future proof. Watching Anthem for quite a while I was waiting for them to upgrade to HDMI 1.3. I am kind of a rookie in most of these areas. When you refer to codecs, what does this mean exactly? Is this new Anthem D2 the pre-pro to buy ? Reviews on the D2 have always fantastic. A friend of mine is looking at the new Marantz 8003. Any knowledge on this unit? how does it compare to the D2?

kennyt 09-18-2008 04:15 PM

Well, Anthem has been one of the few companies to keep former owners in the loop (Theta and Meridian are really the only other two who have done this!)

I can't comment on the Marantz 8003, but I had the Denon AVP-A1HDCI and the D2, and I use the D2, to me it is a much better sounding pre/pro.

Butch 09-19-2008 12:31 PM

What??!!! Kenny can't comment? Hell just froze over. Common Kenny, at least give us you best guess about what you think the guys over at Marantz might be capable of achieving for $2500.

kennyt 09-19-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch (Post 17734)
What??!!! Kenny can't comment? Hell just froze over. Common Kenny, at least give us you best guess about what you think the guys over at Marantz might be capable of achieving for $2500.

Butch,

Kind of a smug retort.... so I'll bash back a bit! First, it's not Common Ken, never has been, never will! You could call me Dr. Ken, Dr. Taz, Dr. T, Ken, or any of the names/nicknames I hold, but Common Ken??? DAMN that hurts!

Yes, I know it was a typo, but allow me my rant!

I can't and won't comment on the Marantz 8003 as I've never heard it, even in a demo much less in my system, so I am ignorant of it's performance. I do have the SSR 8002 in my bedroom system and it does very well in there, but pre/pro's go to my main rig, and they must compete with the likes of the Meridian 861v4, Anthem D2 etc...... Is the Marantz in that league??????? My GUESS is no, but I've not heard it so I WILL NOT comment on it. Should I get one, then I'll make my comments, but I will not pretend to have experience nor make a judgement based solely on bias. I use my ears to decide what I like and don't, and report my findings from them. For me to report on a unit I've never heard would be total BS and I won't do it!

KT