Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 08-24-2008   #7
wes

Default Re: Is old Proceed AVP-S still any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I think it is time for you to start taking a look (POST CEDIA) at new high end AV preamps. I owned an AVP back in the day and loved it but its OLD OLD OLD by today's standards.

I could not agree more, I am anxious to see what comes out of Cedia!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #8

I was lucky to get an AVP-S for about $350 on an audiogon auction (no box or remote) and I think it is one of the best audio purchases I've made. It was pretty easy to setup as the manual is on the web, and the unit itself can program a universal remote.

I challenge the people who call it "too old" to suggest something better, new or used, for $500-700 or less. I was looking for 75% music, and 25% HT, so there is probably better for pure HT.

I was looking for a reasonably compact, one box pre-pro, that supported 5.1 DD and DTS, sounded great in 2-channel, and had good multi-room capabilities. I don't care about video switching, and frankly don't understand why people don't just let the TV do vs. I considered a lot of gear including old Merdian 56x, Rotel, NAD, Marantz, Parasound, B+K, outlaw, and arcam. My reference 2-ch pre-pro is a Benchmark DAC1. IMO only the Merdian and Proceed were in the same 2-ch league with the Benchmark for my budget. Demo equipment included Rotel RB-1080, 1066, and Bryston 3BSST amps, North Creek speakers (Kitty Kat and Borealis), and a Velodyne DD-10 sub. Most of the pre-pros lacked something compared to the Benchmark, maybe they sounded thin/flat, harsh, or less refined. I didn't spend a lot of time comparing HT, but I found the AVP to be as good if not better than a much newer Marantz or Rotel for 5.1. In the end the Meridan didn't have enough inputs, multiroom, and was more expensive.

I've had the AVP for about a year. It is connected to the Rotel RB-1080 and 1066. I find the Benchmark a bit more engaging while the AVP is a tad more laid-back and smooth. But for <$400 I'm definitely satisfied. I wouldn't mind a pre with a newer codec, so if someone better suggestion, please provide it.
ericsphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #9
Administrator

Hey welcome to the forum, Eric.

The whole idea of video switching really started back in the day when a home theater meant a projector. Projectors had very limited input capability and were usually located many feet from the sources. An A/V receiver with video switching (the first were SD even) allowed a single cable to be run up to the projector. Made sense.

Then marketing kicked in and over time it has become pretty much the standard fair for receivers.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #10

I understand video switching, and why it exits. I was just expressing an opinion, that I think it is a waste in an audio device, and should be left tot the TV.

cheers.
Old 05-02-2009   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsphillips View Post
I understand video switching, and why it exits. I was just expressing an opinion, that I think it is a waste in an audio device, and should be left tot the TV.

cheers.
I don't entirely disagree with you if we are talking a TV with enough inputs. Still there are many projector applications.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #12

The question remains, is there a better 5.1 and 2.1 pre-pro for the money?
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, avp, avps, hdtv, manual, pav, pavpdsd, pdsd, picture, preamp, preamplifier, price, procced, proceed, video