Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 06-26-2008   #13

Default Re: Is Sunfire TGP5 worth it, or should I get better pre/pro?

jeffkad,

You do have an interesting decision. But something you said, struck home with me. That the Sunfire is new. Not that I have anything against used gear.

But, I`ve haven`t pulled the plug on any used gear. I feel better about new. And at the price, and if it helps you get the Esoteric, thats all I have to say!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
What do you do for video? Curious what you do for this with the dv50. I'm assuming you have an SOTA display.
I use a Sony KDS R70XBR2 RPTV as I cannot control light in my room.

I don't use the DV-50s for video at all anymore. I try to rent/buy anything I want to watch in Blu-ray, and when I am forced to watch an SD DVD, I usually use my Toshiba HD XA2 as it is the best scaling player I've had to date, even beating my Meridian G98DH for 1080p! My DV-50s is for audio only.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #15

Still thinking about what to do, which is always a dangerous thing with me. The longer I think, the more it costs me! So after further review, though mot saying I won't ultimately go for the Sunfire or the Proceed AVP2+6, I'm starting to seriously consider the Meridian G-series and the Theta Casablanca 2 or 3 (either superior or extreme dacs) as possible endgame alternatives. In both cases, I would believe that I would have one of the best processors going, and would also have best dacs/digital setup so as to forego the need for a top line CDP/DVP (ie, the Esoteric dv50). Both of these units have absolutely "gaga" reviews, and seem to be everybody's reference for comparison.

What do you all think? Would love some opinions or experiences with these pieces as compared to what I was originally considering.

Thanks...Jeff
jeffkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Still thinking about what to do, which is always a dangerous thing with me. The longer I think, the more it costs me! So after further review, though mot saying I won't ultimately go for the Sunfire or the Proceed AVP2+6, I'm starting to seriously consider the Meridian G-series and the Theta Casablanca 2 or 3 (either superior or extreme dacs) as possible endgame alternatives. In both cases, I would believe that I would have one of the best processors going, and would also have best dacs/digital setup so as to forego the need for a top line CDP/DVP (ie, the Esoteric dv50). Both of these units have absolutely "gaga" reviews, and seem to be everybody's reference for comparison.

What do you all think? Would love some opinions or experiences with these pieces as compared to what I was originally considering.

Thanks...Jeff
Personally I wouldn't go near a Theta as their future is anything but certain. A wise man once told me "Blue chip! Blue chip! Blue chip! Resale should always be a consideration."

If you can afford it go with the Meridian, but the DV-50 DAC's still sounded better
to me than the 861's for music. YMMV.
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #17

Word is that Theta is alive and well under ATI, and will be coming out with new unit by end of year. Of course, that was from a Theta dealer. Basically, I've got around 5k-6k at most to spend. I can possibly do one of the following (all used):

1) get a proceed avp or parasound C2 and an Esoteric dv50

2) get a theta cb3 or meridian g68 and an oppo

3) get a classe ssp300/600 or Belcanto pre/pro and an arcam dv139

4) get a (new) sunfire tgp5 or cary cinema 11 and a an esoteric ux3 (maybe> may have to drop down to nuforce avp16/17 depending on cost of ux3)

What do you think?
Old 06-27-2008   #18

So just got word that a Theta CB3 with Extreme Dacs along the LCR will soon be available for around 5900. That's a lot, but I've heard that the extreme dacs are fantastic. I desperately need some opinions here. For that money, of course, I could do any number of other combinations.
Sponsored Links

Tags
avp2, avp26, forums, model, nuforce, proceed, processor, review, sunfire, tga5200, tgp, tgp3, tgp5, worth