Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 06-25-2008   #7

Default Re: Is Sunfire TGP5 worth it, or should I get better pre/pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
This is why I am considering adding a good two channel preamp w/Phono stage and a TT to my HT.
Why on earth would you do something like that??????

Jim <- who is slowly convincing Ken to stop fooling with processors for music!!
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #8

Yes, many have said that even a moderately good preamp will beat the best processors for 2 channel. I guess one with HT bypass would be the ideal answer, and just go with a good processor at reasonable cost, like the Integra. However, sometimes we have space issues and can't fit the additional equipment (this is my issue right now, unless I buy some smaller pieces). Can you list some good preamps with HT bypass?
jeffkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #9

Kenny, you burst my bubble on the Harmony 1000 ... my 10 yr old son wanted it too.

Two questions:

1) Regarding the Proceed AVP2, do you think it's dacs can make it come reasonably close to SQ of the Esoteric if I feed it digital from my Pioneer dv47a as transport?

2) Given my system, if you had to choose between adding one of the pre/pros we've discussed (and keeping the Pio dv47a as CDP/transport) or adding the Esoteric dv50 (and keeping the Pio vsx49tx as pre), which would you do?
Old 06-26-2008   #10

If you want the 1000, you can always buy it and if you don't like it return it. For my money, I like the 890 better, and my systems reflect this. The 890 runs my main rig with a huge list of sources, the 1000 is in the bedroom as the lack of buttons makes it more cumbersome to use and would frustrate the heck out of me in the main rig...

FWIW A Proceed AVP-S with a minor display issue just hit A'gon for $850....

1) Proceed and Esoteric have pretty different sounds so not. Are the DAC's good in the AVP? Yes, and the unit has a smooth sonic signature that appeals to me and my taste.

2) That's a tough one and it harps back to an old audiophile argument, do you start at the source or the speakers??? The DV-50 is a smoking goo d CD player, but will the Pioneer Elite do it the justice it deserves? Not sure, I would say get both, but obviously that costs more...

BTW jeff, TT is Turn Table (Yep, I'm strongly considering going back to vinyl!)

Jim,

You know damn well why I'd do that!!! Now if you'd get some multichannel gear to go with those tubes......
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #11

TT= Turntable...duh (hey, I just turned 50, so I can claim senior moments now,lol)

As for the Proceed, I'm holding out for an AVP2+6. The AVP2 is supposedly much better than the original AVP, and the +6 allows SACD/DVDA.

I think I may try the Esoteric dv50. I've heard the dv60 is much better video-wise, but NOT as good audio-wise (this from many commentaries on various forums).

What do you do for video? If I get the Samsung, I will have to rely on the TV's internal scaler rather than any of the pre/pros or dvps we've discussed. Curious what you do for this with the dv50. I'm assuming you have an SOTA display.
Old 06-26-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Can you list some good preamps with HT bypass?
Just about all preamps are available with HT pass-through. There are many good ones but they each have a distinct flavor so you will have to listen to them to decide what you like.

Personally I love having tubes in the preamp as they add warmth and really do amazing things to midrange frequencies. Typically they aren't as dynamic or resolving as the best solid state preamps but there are exceptions should your wallet allow. So - you will have to invest some time listening for yourself.

Solid state pre's are easier to live with since the tubes dont need replacing and usually have more slam and extension.

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you will find that a good preamp will make you forget all about your processor for 2-channel music.
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
avp2, avp26, forums, model, nuforce, proceed, processor, review, sunfire, tga5200, tgp, tgp3, tgp5, worth