Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Preamps (Audio & Video) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video-8/)
-   -   Two-channel pre-amp recommendations please (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video/2052-two-channel-pre-amp-recommendations-please.html)

Silver Supra 06-17-2008 02:19 PM

Two-channel pre-amp recommendations please

Guys -

I am in the market for a 2-channel preamp and am looking for recommendations.

The rest of my system is comprised of an Esoteric DV-50 source, NuForce Ref9V2 SE mono amps, Aerial 10T speakers, Audio Magic silver wiring throughout.

Here's what my ideal preamp would have:

1. XLR in and out
2. Musical and detailed - if I had to lean in one direction over the other I would lean musical.
3. Cannot be sloppy in the bass department or the Aerials will bloat like crazy.
4. REMOTE!! I would prefer a full function but could live with volume only if I had to.
5. My absolute upper limit is about $5k on the used market.

I really like tubes in my system as it nicely balances the detail of the Esoteric and the speed of the NuForce's. I've used an ARC LS26 and while it was very good I felt I wanted more of the tube magic.

Here are a few contenders I'm looking at.

Levinson 326S
Cary SLP-05
ARC REF3
Aesthetix Calypso - but it's a long way back due to noise issues and it's appetite for tubes

What else should I consider?

Pass X1 was a consideration but is out of the running due to the excessively large volume jumps (3dB per click!!) - what was Nelson thinking?!?!?!

TIA,
Jim

Silver Supra 06-18-2008 05:05 PM

Re: Two-channel pre-amp recommendations please

Anyone????

kennyt 06-19-2008 02:13 AM

I too want something like this, but add in HT passthrough as it will likely integrate into my main rig.... Just can't decide if I need a MC analog pre for MC Audio as well, is this format alive enough for me to invest in it this substantially?

Silver Supra 06-19-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 15946)
I too want something like this, but add in HT passthrough as it will likely integrate into my main rig.... Just can't decide if I need a MC analog pre for MC Audio as well, is this format alive enough for me to invest in it this substantially?

I'm waiting on you to find the best pre and let me know so I don't have to do this legwork!!

pfslai 06-19-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Supra (Post 15953)
I'm waiting on you to find the best pre and let me know so I don't have to do this legwork!!

I'm not sure if your above amps are going to be less than 5k in the used market. I will be auditioning the ref 3 soon. I've heard the ML 320s (not 326s) and was quite dissappointed. Have you heard the Krell preamps - I was quite impressed although its more money. However, I'd still say you have to do the audition yourself and preferably with the right equipment.

kennyt 06-19-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfslai (Post 15958)
I'm not sure if your above amps are going to be less than 5k in the used market.

I know, and I might need a new roof on my house so I haven't started to piece this together yet!