Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 06-11-2008   #1

Default Marantz Pre/Pro combo

Just found out not too long ago that marantz is coming with their own pre-pro combo. It's actually about half the price of the denon. The processor weighs a lot less and have only 4 hdmi in (2 out) vs. 6 in (2 out) in the denon. Balanced outputs in the processor also.

Is it just corporate strategy for denon and marantz to compete in two different price segments or will marantz sales cannabalize denon sales?
pfslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #2

Default Re: Marantz Pre/Pro combo

I think these are aimed at two different markets, the Denon is over the top feature packed, I mean it can run two independent 5.1 systems, or one with three other zones, or any way you want to configure the 12 channels, the Marantz has I think eight and obviously less HDMI and other features too. I can't remember if the Marantz has WiFi for streaming audio either, or HD Radio or a few other things that aren't coming to mind this early in the AM.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #3

Default Re: Marantz Pre/Pro combo

A press release announcing the availability of the Marantz AV8003 A/V Preamp and the MM8003 Power Amp appeared on the CE Pro site (http://www.cepro.com/article/marantz...003_power_amp/) this morning. The Marantz site does not include the press release, but does include downloadable user manuals with full specifications for these devices. The AV8003 has an extensive feature set including scaling by Anchor Bay, HDMI 1.3a compatibility with the Dolby and DTS HD codecs as well as DLNA compatibility supporting streaming of audio, video and images.

I was quite disappointed, however, to discover that streaming of hi-resolution audio (at least 2 channels of at least 88.2kHz/24-bit audio) is not supported. As I've complained about before, it makes no sense to me that these major A/V vendors (Integra, Denon, Onkyo and now Marantz) are introducing these very feature-rich processor/receivers but do not include support for streaming of hi-resolution audio. These devices include all the necessary processing including DACs supporting up to 192kHz/24-bit audio as well as a TCP/IP stack. On nearly a weekly basis, the list of sites offering download of Hi-Res audio files is becoming longer yet there are only a few devices (outside of PC's with appropriate sound cards) that can process these files. I am certain that the market for downloadable hi-res audio files could be much larger than delivery via Blu-Ray disks. What am I missing here?

Last edited by CharlyD; 06-13-2008 at 11:09 AM..
CharlyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
av, av8003, combo, comparison, dtc98, integra, marantz, preamps, prepro, price, processor, seattle, strategy, ten, top