Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 08-07-2008   #19

Default Re: Not sure what to buy (Levinson 502, Meridian G Series other)

rlpii: Thanks for getting me back on topic, sorry...what does the Halcro 220 software do that the 200 didn't? Does it accept and use hdmi 1.3a? Does it handle HD audio? How much do they retail for? Do you find the provided remote to be useful? Thanks.
mribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #20
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
Also, to be back on topic, I have not heard a Krell or Proceed pre/pro that I have liked. I have never been excited about Classe either.
Tell us what is it you didn't like about Classé and Proceed?
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #21

About Proceed:
I have a big confession to make: My original success and happiness with the Mark Levinson line made me lose a hobby. I never, ever liked dealing with stereo salesman, they never gave me accurate or complete information. I thought it was a chore. SO when I bought the ML 30/31 I was happy to just get the upgrades and did not really go back into the stores.
Of course when I was really happy with my two channel system the world went 5.1. After listening to the Proceed PAV sound processor, I was impressed and happy with it. I never let it process my front two channels when listening to two channel audio, but it gave me a good surround for music and Dolby Pro logic on Laser Disc sand some TV shows.. A five channel upgrade was released and bought it and thought it sounded great. At the time, about 1998, I had no heard anything better.
Then everything went nuts at ML. The Proceed DVD player sounded better than any DVD player I had heard. In fact the CD audio was close to the 31.5. WHEN IT WAS WORKING! ML like to do everything themselves, developing their own transports. Well, the DVD player was just awful and they couldn’t fix it. For four years, my unit was in their hands longer than mine. Their resolution was to send owners of the unit the Lexicon RT-10. Now that ML is part of Harmon Kardon, Lexicon is the new Proceed.
When my rear three channel amp failed, also a Proceed, it took eight months to get it back. My regular ML amp also failed and it then took a long time to get back. I traded them in for a Krell Ev. 600. At first Lexicon took over the repairing on ML products and they fired a lot of people. Then they got an outside source. Recently, they fired almost everyone again and moved the service to Long Island New York.
I was reluctant to buy another ML product so I ventured into the realm of stereo stores and salespeople again. There are only about 1/3 as much as there were in 1990. But they should have the theme from “Jaws” playing when you go into those stores!
An aside, I learned my lesson: The ML 40 was to be intergraded into the 30.6/31.5/32 setup. Here is where it failed badly. The linking never really worked and when one unit failed it stopped me from using ALL the others. I ALWAYS SHOULD HAVE USED LIKE A DID THE PROCEED: AS A STAND ALONE PROCESSOR, not as an intergraded part of my 2 channel unit.

ML called at their own volition to resolve the problems I had with the 40. They offered me a very reasonable trade in and I took it (after a saw, heard and used that unit and the Krell 707). I now live right near them.
Lefisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #22

Jerry,

I would wait until CEDIA before committing to a new pre/pro. It is rumored that Meridian will announce an HDMI solution in the form of an external component which will separate the HDMI audio and video streams, pass through the video stream to your video processor or display, and convert the audio stream to MHR for direct digital connection to the G68 as well as your 861. Meridian owners (I am one) are anxiously awaiting the announcement. If the rumour is true, you can put your 861 back in your system along with a Blu-ray player of your choice and regain what you lost by going the Classe route.

Last edited by faberryman; 08-10-2008 at 06:43 AM..
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
an external component which will separate the HDMI audio and video streams, pass through the video stream to your video processor or display, and convert the audio stream to MHR for direct digital connection to the G68 as well as your 861.
I've heard the rumor but this would be in violation of the HDCP copy protection which requires both audio and video to travel together. Maybe this is so, we'll see but as far as I know Meridian isn't showing a new pre/pro @ CEDIA, if they DO, I will be at there booth with CC in hand!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I've heard the rumor but this would be in violation of the HDCP copy protection which requires both audio and video to travel together. Maybe this is so, we'll see but as far as I know Meridian isn't showing a new pre/pro @ CEDIA, if they DO, I will be at there booth with CC in hand!!!
MHR is encrypted so copy protection of the audio stream is not circumvented, though I'm sure that Meridian would need approval from the HDMI governing body to implement it. Such approval may account for the delay in providing an HDMI solution. Although the 861 V5 and V6 have been hinted at, I'd be surprised (but pleasantly so) if the were introduced at CEDIA.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
502, 621, audio, hd, hdmi, home, krell, krell707, levinson, mark, meridian, review, series, standard, theater, upgrades