Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 08-06-2008   #13

Default Re: Not sure what to buy (Levinson 502, Meridian G Series other)

Jerry:

I have just purchased the Mark Levinson 502, it is due any day now. I had had a lot of trouble with my ML 40 and HK made me a offer I could not refuse, so to speak.

I will be using it with the ML 32 pre amp and the Krell Evolution 600 amps into Thiel 7.2 speakers.

The Krell 707 unit had some interesting things not yet put in according to my salesperson. He said that a audio update was due soon (what did it need to update), his email quote was, “hd audio processing upgrade for the Krell was around the corner” and that the new machine doesn’t upscale to 1080p, nor to 1080i on an HDMI input.

The Krell has a lot of buttons on the front but they are very small and since this machine will be used mostly in the dark that is a problem. Traditionally the Krell units do not sound as well (to me) as many other brands, they are not as warm. Tinny is a very bad word to use her, but the highs are not smooth to me in Krell.

But I will let you know what happens.

By the way, I am having a unpleasant time with the Krell dealer. He told me that Blu ray was not successful, it was (an these are his words) like “Beta” I should buy a good processor without any concerns about blu-ray AND I should now get an expensive Esoteric DVD player because, of course, blu ray is failing.
Lefisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #14
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
Jerry: I have just purchased the Mark Levinson 502, it is due any day now. I had had a lot of trouble with my ML 40 and HK made me a offer I could not refuse, so to speak. I will be using it with the ML 32 pre amp and the Krell Evolution 600 amps into Thiel 7.2 speakers. The Krell 707 unit had some interesting things not yet put in according to my salesperson. He said that a audio update was due soon (what did it need to update), his email quote was, “hd audio processing upgrade for the Krell was around the corner” and that the new machine doesn’t upscale to 1080p, nor to 1080i on an HDMI input. The Krell has a lot of buttons on the front but they are very small and since this machine will be used mostly in the dark that is a problem. Traditionally the Krell units do not sound as well (to me) as many other brands, they are not as warm. Tinny is a very bad word to use her, but the highs are not smooth to me in Krell. But I will let you know what happens.

By the way, I am having a unpleasant time with the Krell dealer. He told me that Blu ray was not successful, it was (an these are his words) like “Beta” I should buy a good processor without any concerns about blu-ray AND I should now get an expensive Esoteric DVD player because, of course, blu ray is failing.
Your Krell dealer is a joke Blu Ray is alive and growing, of course he wants you to spend $10 of thousands of dollars on an esoteric. DVD is a dying bread just like VHS was when DVD came out ask you dealer if he ever saw blu ray on a 12 feet 2:35 wide screen and DTS Master Audio 7.1 I find these kinds of dealers dishonest and I usually run away as fast as I can. Classé SSP-800 is supposed to be oustanding let see if the release the new upgrade for the new codec!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #15

I emailed the dealer, a famous New York one, that I was interested in Blu Ray processing in the processor, something the Krell 707 does not fully have yet. Here is his email to me, received this morning. I am not correcting the spelling and grammar. (Note: He said to me that Blu Ray is dead, it has gone the way of beta. Downloads are the wave of the future. Frankly, as you said, he is trying to sell regular DVD technology)

I think you have linked togeather alot of half facts and managed to talk yourself out of making a rational upgrade.First,whether you use blue ray or downloads any future visual format will have both HD Dolby /dts as well as conventional dolby..Second,There are 90,000.00 dvd titles out there which you are not seeing or hearing the way you should
on your current processor and dvd player.Third,when I said the hd audio processing upgrade for thye krell was around the corner i may have neglected to tell you that we would either do it in your home your lend you a different surround sound player while the upgrade is being done..Finally,I never said you should not use a blue ray player.what i said was first,you should get the esoteric so you could see/hear dvds as well as you saw/heard them in my store.
So,which Esoteric would you like to buy?My guess is the UX-1 PI at $16,000.00.,wouldn't you agree?
Old 08-07-2008   #16

I posted a similiar thread on audigon HT; wanting to upgrade from my G-68; to utilize the codecs of HD audio and blue ray...didn't consider the ML 502; or Classe....am waiting for the Krell 707; but this is getting expensive...and there are not that many blue ray discs that I want to watch; and we may evolve into distributed hd content; making these processors and players of limited utility; so my question is whether to wait; or try to maintain cutting edge for a balanced home theater/two channel system. Meridian is supposed to have the v6 out soon; which also may be a good processor. I am getting confused and frustrated that the major vendors have had these delays in providing the products we want...my G-98 does a very good job of upconverting standard dvd's; and I enjoy the sound on my system; but I have not yet improved my Mitsubishi rear projection dlp set...so that will be my first order of business this year; and I'll wait until after CEDIA to see what's on the horizon; and keep my system unchanged, but will by either the Marantz BD player for $2k; or the new Denon. Any recommendations on those two units?
Glad I'm not alone out there struggling with these issues. I'm new to this world and hobby; with out much interaction with others; and I enjoy and appreciate these forums. Thanks.
mribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #17

Unless I just got a bad player, the Denon #3800 blu ray is not at all a player I would recommend. I have a Sony BDP S-500, which I was placing in another room and bought the Denon to replace it in our main room. The initial picture from Denon was not nearly as sharp the details seemed to have faded away. The colors were muted, never vivid. I went through the setup menu and then "a-b" the two players, something I was not expecting to do. The difference was overwhelming. The Sony was almost three dimensional, the Denon looked like an average, non blu-ray player. I used the blu-ray discs from Blade Runner, The Final Cut, Planet Earth, The New Frontier and Spider-Man. My TV did say it was getting a 1080p picture from the Denon. I did send it back the very first day, the picture would have been decent for a regular DVD not for a top of the line blu-ray.

I should mention that the sound from the Denon appeared to be better than the Sony. The Sony can sometimes be a bit shrill, but I did not discover that with the Denon.

By the way, the dealer told me that the Marentz, at the same price is basically the same player made from the chassis,
Old 08-07-2008   #18

I have the Denon 3800BDCI, and I only kept it because the audio quality is very good. DTS-HD MA sounds great on it. Video is mediocre at best. My LG BH-200, LG BH-100, and Sony PS3 all have a much better picture. After some discussions with my dealer, we decided that the only way to get a better picture is to re-isf the projector to this player which I am not too excited about.

Also, to be back on topic, I have not heard a Krell or Proceed pre/pro that I have liked.
I have never been excited about Classe either. My experience with Meridian has always been it just doesn't seem to perform as well as it should if the whole system is not Meridian. Even with the few problems I have had with my Halcro, it still is the best pre/pro I have heard. Unless you are just dying to have a pre/pro process the new codecs instead of only MCPCM, the Halcro should be the choice. BTW, on Tuesday Halcro sent me the software update to make my 200 a 220.

Last edited by rlpiii; 08-07-2008 at 08:27 PM..
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
502, 621, audio, hd, hdmi, home, krell, krell707, levinson, mark, meridian, review, series, standard, theater, upgrades