Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 05-03-2008   #13

Default Re: ML 502 Media Console

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfslai View Post
That said, one of my dealers still claim the Anthem D2 and Krell S-1000, running analog inputs from the blu-ray players (ie. the player do the decoding) are sonically superior to the denon. They have so far refused to set up their main theatre room with the denon so that I can do a comparison.
Yet another I will be able to clearly answer shortly as the Denon AVP will be replacing the Anthem D2 in my main rig....

Sorry to say it will be two more weeks before I can do this.....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfslai View Post
That said, one of my dealers still claim the Anthem D2 and Krell S-1000, running analog inputs from the blu-ray players (ie. the player do the decoding) are sonically superior to the denon. They have so far refused to set up their main theatre room with the denon so that I can do a comparison.
This is a very interesting point you mentioned. I have heard from others who are on the fence between the Denon AVP and other high end controllers (Anthem D2, Krell S-1000, and of course Classe's upcoming SSP-800). They also said that their dealers refuse to let them do A/B comparisons between the well known high end heavyweights and the new Denon AVP. I mean c'mon the consumer has a right to listen to each product through the same gear. Are they afraid that the Denon just might sound "as good" as the others?

It's very interesting.
Z Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Man View Post
I have heard from others who are on the fence between the Denon AVP and other high end controllers (Anthem D2, Krell S-1000, and of course Classe's upcoming SSP-800). They also said that their dealers refuse to let them do A/B comparisons between the well known high end heavyweights and the new Denon AVP.
This could be because the dealer is lazy, swapping out a pre/pro is the most labor intensive swaps in a HT, just ask Andrew or I who do it frequently, but this is no reason to not allow you to A-B two items they have. If they won't do it in their room, bring them both home and try it in YOUR room, this is after all the be all end all test for gear.

Just expect to spend some time on each setting them up, coding remotes, calibrating/room correction, then listening.... Fortunately, thanks to HDMI the connections have gotten easier.
Old 05-03-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
This could be because the dealer is lazy, swapping out a pre/pro is the most labor intensive swaps in a HT, just ask Andrew or I who do it frequently, but this is no reason to not allow you to A-B two items they have. If they won't do it in their room, bring them both home and try it in YOUR room, this is after all the be all end all test for gear.

Just expect to spend some time on each setting them up, coding remotes, calibrating/room correction, then listening.... Fortunately, thanks to HDMI the connections have gotten easier.
This is true, the absolute best place to see how each sounds is indeed in ones own home. For me I didn't have that option, as my dealer carries Denon and other high end brands, but doesn't usually have them in stock. So if somebody wants a certain high end piece he'll order it. I am very very happy that I got a winner with my Denon AVP. It's a great preamp and I am really enjoying it.

The new Levinson 502 is in the ultra high end range, and will most likely be in a class all its own. The Denon AVP is more to compete with the likes of the Classe' SSP-800, Krell S-1000, Anthem D2, Lexicon MC12, and possibly the upcoming Simaudio piece.

But I do agree with some of the other posters that for the price they are charging for the 502, it should have had HDMI 1.3. and on board decoding for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. These are things that people really want in a high end controller.

Seth
Old 05-04-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Man View Post
But I do agree with some of the other posters that for the price they are charging for the 502, it should have had HDMI 1.3. and on board decoding for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. These are things that people really want in a high end controller.
I agree people seem to want them, but is it better to decode in the pre/pro from bitstream or is MC PCM fine? I think it is too early to decide what is best as all these new pre/pro's are just starting to come out. It does officially open another can of worms for us all though!
Old 05-06-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I agree people seem to want them, but is it better to decode in the pre/pro from bitstream or is MC PCM fine? I think it is too early to decide what is best as all these new pre/pro's are just starting to come out. It does officially open another can of worms for us all though!
As to whether bitstreaming is better than MC PCM I don't know. But I do know that it sounds way better IMO than when I had 6 cables coming out of my XA2 and let the player do the decoding. But I know that many people like to have things decoded by the pre/pro instead of the player (myself included). It will be interesting to see what people think once pre/pro's like Classe's SSP-800, Krell Evolution, and Mark Levinson 502 are available.

Seth
Sponsored Links

Tags
800, 861, anthem, avpa1hdci, classe, compare, console, d2, denon, krell, lexicon, media, meridian, s1000, setting, ssp, tests