Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 03-26-2008   #1

Default High end preamp with passthrough

I just installed a Purepower 1050 in my system. It improved my Denon 3808 to the point that I'm perfectly content with audio of my home theater for movies. I was considering the new Denon preamp to improve 2 channel capabilities.

For $7000, however, I can get one heck of a standalone 2 channel preamp. Many high end preamps are starting to come out with a home theater "bypass". I also have several friends that use an analog input of the preamp, setting the volume level to the same point every time when listening to movies. A preamp designed with the passthrough option is the obvious choice.

Anyone doing this in their setup?
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #2

Default Re: High end preamp with passthrough

My solution to a need for a multichannel preamp was the Meitner Switchman 2 preamp/switcher which can handle four (4) multichannel (6 channel) sources. I still use an older preamp/processor for DD/DTS decoding and run it's analog outputs through the Meitner. I also run a Blu-ray player's multichannel analog outputs and a Universal player's analog outputs through the Meitner.

The Meitner preamp stage blew away my pre/pro's preamp stage. So did a McCormack MAP-1. Pre/pros are "crippled" by the need to process digital sources so even with today's technology, I'm not sure there is a Pre/pro with a better (analog) preamp stage than the Meitner.

Last time I checked, the Switchman-2 had been replaced with a far more expensive Switchman-3 tailored for the audiophile world (rather than for the recording studios).

Nowadays, I opt to use a 2-channel tubed preamp for 2-channel music listening. I even swap the cable connections instead of using one or the other preamps in bypass mode (I also think cables make a difference and I didn't want to spring for extra expensive cables).
oscar_in_fw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #3

I seriously considered adding a Switchman 3 to my rig and the Meitner (EMM LAbs) CDSD Se and DAC6e SE but alas HT Junky, if you don't want to spend the $7K for the Denon (I have seen them for sale new from authorized dealers for ~$5,500) then the switchman is going tobe way out too, I think the switchman 3 retails for $6K.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #4
wes

Cool Re: High end preamp with passthrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Junky View Post
I just installed a Purepower 1050 in my system. It improved my Denon 3808 to the point that I'm perfectly content with audio of my home theater for movies.
How real is this "Purepower" I had the worst experience with them, in addition it is overpriced!!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
How real is this "Purepower" I had the worst experience with them
Sorry to hear about your experience with them, I can say that I did the review of the PurePower and as I added gear to this device, it quickly became apparent I neeed this in my system, I called the company (AudiAV) who were making my new custom AV Racks and had them add another shelf for it! To me and my system, it was a huge improvement!

Check the review for more details, but it isn't going anywhere!

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-ac...generator.html

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
analog, bypass, channel, end, high, home, multi, multichannel, preamp, preamps, solid, state, stereo, switchman, theater