Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 7
Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

I agree that the 861v4 is very nice. I also have been told, by various knowledgeable sources, that there will be an upgrade...going back over a year. I don't doubt they will cook up something....my point is:
1. by saying nothing officially that there is no corporate backup to the various rumors as to what is coming....just laying out a road map....no need for firm dates....would help. Just an official willingness to commit to making units function with the HD future....
2. Meridian's actions...or lack there of, has just about made their 861 units unsaleable...my dealer can't sell them now....when the market can get a $1500 to $3000 item that at least provides apparent HD functionity...they don't need HMDI video...but handling the Dolby TrueHD sound would be nice
hikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #14
wes
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 714
Cool Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Yes definitly but like all good things in moderation otherwise watch out for the financial impact.

I have decided that every seven years I make major upgrades to my system, I will do this until my hearing loss starts getting bad (70 or so).

Here is my latest upgrade:

Before: 5.1 system
Two 802 B&W Nautilus, one B&W Nautilus HTM1, two B&W Nautilus 803, Integra Research, RDC-7, RDA-7, RDV-1 and Sony CD Changer, Pioneer Elite Plasma

Today: 7.1 system
Three B&W Nautilus 802D , two B&W Nautilus 802 Surround side, two 803 B&W Nautilus back, JL Audio Fathom F113, Classé CA-5200, Classé CA-2100, awaiting Classé SSP-800, BluRay Player Sony BDP-301, JVC DLA RS-2, Stewart Film Screen 100", iMac 1TB Music Server

I love it, I wonder what it will be in seven years! Oh I forgot college for the kids oh well!
7.1 System
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #15
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: White Plains, New York
Posts: 1,706
Smile Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Yes definitly but like all good things in moderation otherwise watch out for the financial impact.

I have decided that every seven years I make major upgrades to my system, I will do this until my hearing loss starts getting bad (70 or so).

Here is my latest upgrade:

Before: 5.1 system
Two 802 B&W Nautilus, one B&W Nautilus HTM1, two B&W Nautilus 803, Integra Research, RDC-7, RDA-7, RDV-1 and Sony CD Changer, Pioneer Elite Plasma

Today: 7.1 system
Three B&W Nautilus 802D , two B&W Nautilus 802 Surround side, two 803 B&W Nautilus back, JL Audio Fathom F113, Classé CA-5200, Classé CA-2100, awaiting Classé SSP-800, BluRay Player Sony BDP-301, JVC DLA RS-2, Stewart Film Screen 100", iMac 1TB Music Server

I love it, I wonder what it will be in seven years! Oh I forgot college for the kids oh well!
7.1 System
Indeed, an excellent system wes. Congrats to you. I`m sure you are rocking the house. Hopefully, with some good music as well, not just movies!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #16
wes
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 714
Cool Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Indeed, an excellent system wes. Congrats to you. I`m sure you are rocking the house. Hopefully, with some good music as well, not just movies!!
Yes thank you, the multichannel SACD is working well as well as streaming audio (in Apple lossless files)
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #17
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14
Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

I think the biggest challenge we face is that technology seems to be changing so quickly these days - and these changes make it so difficult to stay current. There was a time when the speed at which new formats, codecs, connectors came out was very slow - so there was value in investing significant money in a preamp as you knew it had a long life ahead of itself. These days if you want to stay current it feels like you are having to change out pieces much more frequently, maybe even every year or 2, thus making it difficult (at least for me) to invest in true high-end gear like I used. Maybe things are finally slowing down with HDMI 1.3, the new Dolby/DTS loseless, and Blu-Ray that maybe there is some stability where if we had high-end gear it might be a worthwhile investment (i.e. a high-end manufacturing supporting these). For me, I made the decision to go with less expensive gear with more frequent upgrades even if it means I give up sound quality - though to be honest, I'm still enjoying the music and movies like I used to, maybe even more so.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #18
wes
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 714
Cool Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I think the biggest challenge we face is that technology seems to be changing so quickly these days - and these changes make it so difficult to stay current. There was a time when the speed at which new formats, codecs, connectors came out was very slow - so there was value in investing significant money in a preamp as you knew it had a long life ahead of itself. These days if you want to stay current it feels like you are having to change out pieces much more frequently, maybe even every year or 2, thus making it difficult (at least for me) to invest in true high-end gear like I used. Maybe things are finally slowing down with HDMI 1.3, the new Dolby/DTS loseless, and Blu-Ray that maybe there is some stability where if we had high-end gear it might be a worthwhile investment (i.e. a high-end manufacturing supporting these). For me, I made the decision to go with less expensive gear with more frequent upgrades even if it means I give up sound quality - though to be honest, I'm still enjoying the music and movies like I used to, maybe even more so.
You make a very good point and that is why I decided to wait until HDMi 1.3 was out and will wait until the processors support all the new Codec including DD Tru HD and DTS-Master Audio. My Integra Research has done a great job over the past seven years so I don't mind spending the money again and hope that the new unit will last taht long.

With format like DD Tru HD and DTS-MA they should last a while, uncompressed audio is very hard to beat and I don't see any improvements after that! Unless they start using higher bit rate but even then it might be purely mathematical exercices.

On the video side as well 1080p is sufficient and should last another 7 to 10 years before we see 4000p available in the consumer market any time soon.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
audyssey, cost, doesnt, fortune, good, hdmi, pav, pdsd, pre, preamp, prepro, prepros, pro, proceed, sound, trinnov

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HIGH END PHONES deacongreg Loudspeakers 10 07-23-2009 05:55 PM
Ultra High-End BD Player? rlpiii Blu-ray Players 8 12-23-2008 01:12 PM
Is Sunfire TGP5 worth it, or should I get better pre/pro? jeffkad Preamps (Audio & Video) 23 07-07-2008 04:57 AM
New high-end Denon processors oddiophile Preamps (Audio & Video) 81 06-18-2008 12:12 AM
High end preamp with passthrough HT Junky Preamps (Audio & Video) 4 05-08-2008 04:26 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1