Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 08-29-2008   #121
wes

Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post
I did not say I thought the sound would be equal. I think the sound will be in the same ballpark on hi rez sources. After considering price - $2,000 vs. $8,000 - most people will go with the Integra, I believe.
Of course the masses will go with Integra because it's cheaper and has all the logos on it

Quote:
Looking at Kenny's point about analog out, yes, the Classe will have a much more elaborate analog out stage. But, the Integra will have a much more capable DSP-based EQ, which Classe can only promise but cannot deliver at this point. When it is delivered, it will be no match for Audyssey, especially for an Audyssey Pro ugraded Integra. The Audyssey EQ is capable of making the Integra sound much more expensive than it is. It overcomes some of the weakness of not having the most sophisticated analog out stage.
Once both units are available then hopefully independent reviewers will tell us what they think of each. And I will do I my own evaluation as well in my system and which one I prefer!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Of course the masses will go with Integra because it's cheaper and has all the logos on it

Once both units are available then hopefully independent reviewers will tell us what they think of each. And I will do I my own evaluation as well in my system and which one I prefer!
With all due respect to the Integra, which is PHEE-nominal for the price, the Classe SSP-800 is another league altogether. Throw True HD and DTS-HD out the window. It doesn't matter. The 800 is another league. I put both in the same system, substituting one for the other, all other things identical, and it just wasn't close. GENUINE quality always trumps the feature of the month, and specialty products built by high-end companies are just a different animal than mass market Japanese products, which can be very good for their price points. Puh-lease no doubters unless you ALSO have done a direct comparison.
Captain Stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post

But, of course. It's your pocketbook.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #124

Exclamation Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
I am hoping all the other new audio formats will just die, and MCPCM will become the standard. I don't see a future for lossy compression, I think the new lossy formats should have never been developed.

HDMI has been around now for, I think, at least 2 years. If you were buying a pre/pro in the last 2 years w/o HDMI, you should have known better.

BTW, high-end pre/pro's usually have really good trade-in/upgrade policies w/ the manufacturer i.e. Halcro, Lexicon, etc. So, if you have been essentially throwing away your high-end pre/pro because of new advances in processing, and buying new brands, spending $8 - $10k+ . . . then maybe you should have chosen more wisely with your original purchase.
Well, of course, 20/20 hindsight and all that. But even now no current HDMI equipped receiver or Pre/Pro will handle the new 2.0, and that will be the very first audio only version of HDMI!

Prepare to make another upgrade.

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stereo View Post
With all due respect to the Integra, which is PHEE-nominal for the price, the Classe SSP-800 is another league altogether. Throw True HD and DTS-HD out the window. It doesn't matter. The 800 is another league. I put both in the same system, substituting one for the other, all other things identical, and it just wasn't close. GENUINE quality always trumps the feature of the month, and specialty products built by high-end companies are just a different animal than mass market Japanese products, which can be very good for their price points. Puh-lease no doubters unless you ALSO have done a direct comparison.
Was the Integra Audyssey calibrated and its EQ turned on? Also, I don't understand "throw True HD....out the window". Does that mean you did not use those sources? Actually, I am rather interested in what you used as source material. I think it makes a big difference.

Last edited by fitzcaraldo215; 08-29-2008 at 06:07 PM..
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #126

Exclamation Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Was the Integra Audyssey calibrated with the calbration on?
I doubt it!

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audyssey, cost, doesnt, fortune, good, hdmi, pav, pdsd, pre, preamp, prepro, prepros, pro, proceed, sound, trinnov