Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 08-26-2008   #115

Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I don't do Vinyl to inconvenient and pricey, so you are saying I would be better off with Integra DTC 9.9 vs Classé SSP-800? My interest are SACD and Blu Ray
I have not heard the Classe 800. They still have a lot of promised features to deliver. When will this happen? How much better will it sound on hi-rez digital sources? I suspect not enough to justify all the extra money.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #116
wes

Talking Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post
I have not heard the Classe 800. They still have a lot of promised features to deliver. When will this happen? How much better will it sound on hi-rez digital sources? I suspect not enough to justify all the extra money.
For me that will be the key factor:

Digital high def DD tru HD and DTS Master Audio as well as DSD SACD in comparing Classé SSP-800 and Integra DTC 9.9 if sound is equal then the decision will be easy

No need for analogue for me thanks I stop buying Vinyl 25 years ago
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #117

Quote:
Digital high def DD tru HD and DTS Master Audio as well as DSD SACD in comparing Classé SSP-800 and Integra DTC 9.9 if sound is equal then the decision will be easy
Well, either way their is still an analog section the digital input has to go through, and that can be a tricky step, one I would suspect the Classe' would do better, but I haven't had either in my rig to compare.

Quote:
I am soooooooooo sorry you feel that way! I have got one TT set up in my bedroom and have been totally geeking out over it!!! I just located the largest record store in the country (they stock over 3,000,000 records, YES, records, the CD's and DVD's are in the other warehouse across the street!) and am still trying to sort out what TT to add to my reference rig.

I can't wait to go album shopping Saturday morning!!!!!!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #118

Did you see Mac is making TT's now?
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products...-turntable.asp
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
Did you see Mac is making TT's now?
Yeah,

They've had that for a year or two now, it's kind of cool in that it's an all in one solution, but I just don't like the look of Mac gear, so to me it is butt ugly and I'd never own it!

Check out the Avid Diva II, or Volvere! Now that's what I'm talking 'bout!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #120

Quote:
For me that will be the key factor:

I did not say I thought the sound would be equal. I think the sound will be in the same ballpark on hi rez sources. After considering price - $2,000 vs. $8,000 - most people will go with the Integra, I believe. Looking at Kenny's point about analog out, yes, the Classe will have a much more elaborate analog out stage. But, the Integra will have a much more capable DSP-based EQ, which Classe can only promise but cannot deliver at this point. When it is delivered, it will be no match for Audyssey, especially for an Audyssey Pro ugraded Integra. The Audyssey EQ is capable of making the Integra sound much more expensive than it is. It overcomes some of the weakness of not having the most sophisticated analog out stage.

I think the much more potentially potent step up from the Integra will be the Anthem with ARC EQ, when they finally step up to HDMI 1.3.

I am sure it has not escaped your notice that I am a strong believer in what well designed EQ can do. It cannot fix certain room problems like treatments can, but it can improve the sound in even a well treated room. After listening to the Anthem with ARC off and on, don't you agree, Kenny?
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audyssey, cost, doesnt, fortune, good, hdmi, pav, pdsd, pre, preamp, prepro, prepros, pro, proceed, sound, trinnov