Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 08-15-2008   #73

Default Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post
I have not heard everything, but nothing I have heard rivals the sound of SACD or DVD-A through my my Integra driven by an inexpensive Oppo 980 player via HDMI.
Listen to an SACD played on your Oppo 980 using the multichannel outputs into a Meridian 861 fitted with an IA45 card through the speakers and amps of your choice. If you can't hear a difference between the Meridian and Integra stick the Integra.

By the way, what sort of amplifiers and speakers are you listening through?
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #74
wes

Cool Re: High end pre/pro's. Are they worth it???

Quote:
If SACD is a tiny niche market, DVD-A is off the bottom of the charts. There is no comparison in music availability between SACD and DVD-A.
Yes, SACD has 5362 discs www.sa-cd.net DVD Audio who knows!!

On Amazon SACD 4,816 Results DVD 1347 but they include DTS Audio which is different!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m?...s=SACD&x=0&y=0

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12188228...in%3A387646011
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #75

Quote:
Kal has also recently reviewed the only other player which will output SACD via HDMI - the Pioneer Elite DV58($500). Kal prefers this with DSD out rather than PCM, and he thinks it is the best sounding of the 4. This machine has become hot since Kal's review. I am awaiting one from my dealer for audition. This might be worth an upgrade, and my 980 can always become a second DVD player.

By the way, Kal is great. He's probably the best multichannel reviewer for music out there. While I quibble with his choice of DSD vs. PCM out, I am in total agreement with his review of the Integra pre/pro. I got mine about a month before his review appeared after listening to a cross section of much more expensive pre/pro's.
I give Kal the props he deserves, and if you read his Music in the Round in this month Stereophile, you'll see he agrees completely with me about the D2 being significantly better than the DTC 9.8. Not trying to toot my own horn, but since you so revere him, I thought you should at least see he and I are completely on the same page.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
Kenny,
What led you to replace the Anthem D2 with the Denon. Other than the capacity to carry HDMI 1.3 signals, are there other differences? AFAIK, there are no sources which carry the deep color signals which 1.3 is capable. (I'm debating between these 2 preamps). Thanks in advance for your response(s)!
Well, as a reviewer, new gear shows up often. I am desperately trying to find a replacement for the sound of my Meridian 861, and WANT the new codecs, hell, I'd settle for PCM input, but the 861 doesn't do either yet. I have been going for broke trying to demo and evaluate all the newest pre/pro's to see what is the best out there, and will keep at it until I either hear them all or find what I am looking for, or Meridian releases a new 861 that does what I want.....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
Listen to an SACD played on your Oppo 980 using the multichannel outputs into a Meridian 861 fitted with an IA45 card through the speakers and amps of your choice. If you can't hear a difference between the Meridian and Integra stick the Integra.

By the way, what sort of amplifiers and speakers are you listening through?
Thanks, but no thanks. I have no interest in the Meridian. I heard it last year.

My main amps are Krell monoblocks. There is a Bryston monoblock, and 2 Parasound Halo A23's. All speakers are Martin-Logan - Prodigy's, Clarity's Script i's, and a Stage. The sub is a JL Fathom f113.

By the way, have you heard the Integra with hi-rez multichannel going in via HDMI AND with Audyssey properly calibrated? Upgrade to Audyssey Pro, and now you have really got something special. It may not be the best, but it is the best I have heard.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #78

Quote:
By the way, have you heard the Integra with hi-rez multichannel going in via HDMI AND with Audyssey properly calibrated?
No. My setup is:

Meridian: G68ADV, DSP5500s, DSP5000C
Other Audio: JL Audio Fathom F112, Rotel RMB-1066, Gallo Micros (side/rear), XP Server, iTunes, Airport Express (2)
Video: Mitsubishi 65" RPTV, Toshiba HD-XA2

Room correction provided by Meridian MRC.

Last edited by faberryman; 08-15-2008 at 07:24 PM..
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audyssey, cost, doesnt, fortune, good, hdmi, pav, pdsd, pre, preamp, prepro, prepros, pro, proceed, sound, trinnov