Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 12-18-2008   #13

Wink Re: Lexicon MC-12 and high end processors, you pay for the name.

I understand the similarities argument.
I have about 3 to 6 different preamp/amp combos a year in my system, currently the Integra DHC-9.9 with the Integra Research RDA-9.1 and formerly the MC-12BV5 with the RX-7, and if asked is there a +$14K reason to justify the Lexy combo I tell my clients that for pure sound quality the Lexy wins but for me to justify what is a relative cost difference between anything would only be my opinion of what is the 'value' for them. Since the high-end side of our toys is part perception, part art and part incredible engineering I have found that it is for the individual to decide for themselves.
I think the definition of A/V-philes lies in the amount of time spent researching and talking about the gear. If it is more than the time you actually use the gear I think you must know that you are lost to it already
pat@ultramedia.biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #14

Default Re: Lexicon MC-12 and high end processors, you pay for the name.

The MC12 series of preamps do not process the HD audio formats. You must use the 5.1 analog inputs. The DAC's are so good that even with the analog conversion on the audio it still sounds better than most of the A/V receivers out there. The Denon DVD-3800 is an excellent choice to match up with it. The DAC's in the Denon are great and the Reata chipset for video blows all others away. It smokes the insanely inexpensive Sony PS3 on DVD up conversion, and that is hard to do.
pat@ultramedia.biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #15

Default Re: Lexicon MC-12 and high end processors, you pay for the name.

All I know is that my Lexicon sounds great and thats what really matters. I think It should also be noted that Lexicon is a major player in the recording industry. I read somewear that their equipment is used in roughly 75% of major recording studios that produce the music and movies we watch. What better way to reproduce the sound of a recording than using some of the same technology branded equipment.
CSB3226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
12, 502, cost, end, hd, high, levinson, lexicon, mark, mc, mc12, power, price, processors, supply