Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12
Default Re: Pre Amp and CD Player recommendations

Thanks everyone - I have been away for the holidays so sorry for the slow response.

Looks like I have some auditioning to do. The NAD and Rega combination sounds interesting.

I used to like Arcam until they treated me poorly on a DVD player I used to own (the DV78 I think was the model). I may give them another try as I have heard great things about the FMJ line.

I was also looking at auditioning the Bel Canto Pre3 and Cambridge Audio gear. Their new CD player has been getting rave reviews.

Was at a store this weekend and auditioned a bunch of McIntosh tube gear with Thiel speakers. Absolutely amazing sound. There were 2 275 tube amps, a tube preamp, and MCD201 CD player, and also a SS integrated unit, the MA6900. We tried both combinations and then compared them to an Ayre preamp (V-5xe?) and their CX-7e. Both the McIntosh, one listening with tube and the other with the integrated, blew the Ayre pieces away. Wasn't even close. So I decided to get McIntosh at some point in my life (just not yet).
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #8
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: Pre Amp and CD Player recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by clew84 View Post
Thanks everyone - I have been away for the holidays so sorry for the slow response.

Looks like I have some auditioning to do. The NAD and Rega combination sounds interesting.

I used to like Arcam until they treated me poorly on a DVD player I used to own (the DV78 I think was the model). I may give them another try as I have heard great things about the FMJ line.

I was also looking at auditioning the Bel Canto Pre3 and Cambridge Audio gear. Their new CD player has been getting rave reviews.

Was at a store this weekend and auditioned a bunch of McIntosh tube gear with Thiel speakers. Absolutely amazing sound. There were 2 275 tube amps, a tube preamp, and MCD201 CD player, and also a SS integrated unit, the MA6900. We tried both combinations and then compared them to an Ayre preamp (V-5xe?) and their CX-7e. Both the McIntosh, one listening with tube and the other with the integrated, blew the Ayre pieces away. Wasn't even close. So I decided to get McIntosh at some point in my life (just not yet).

After reading this I fully 100% back the REGA/NAD combo. This will allow you to save money for McIntosh gear of the future. If you're planning that kind of future you might as well not spend FMJ type of money.

The Bel Canto is sweet but more expensive I believe than the NAD. The REGA imho is better than the Cambridge Audio CD players. The REGA is to me the best sub $1200 player in recent memory. Some major changes were done by REGA and it shows in playback.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12
Default Re: Pre Amp and CD Player recommendations

Good point and the idea of not overspending now is a good one. I am going to have to go take a listen to that combo then. I have always thought NAD is good for the money and spending more on the CD player is probably a better investment.

Of course a dealer of mine is pushing me towards keeping it all in the family and adding Bryston's new CD player and one of their preamps. However, that is a little much for my budget.
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #10
jbk
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 70
Default Re: Pre Amp and CD Player recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by clew84 View Post
Good point and the idea of not overspending now is a good one. I am going to have to go take a listen to that combo then. I have always thought NAD is good for the money and spending more on the CD player is probably a better investment.

Of course a dealer of mine is pushing me towards keeping it all in the family and adding Bryston's new CD player and one of their preamps. However, that is a little much for my budget.
Here are a couple of new products from Sim Audion that fit in your price range:

The MOON CD-1 CD Player and MOON i-1 Integrated Amplifier represent Simaudio's full-out assault on the price-to-performance ratio. Both models offer sonics and build quality that are unheralded at their respective price points. Possessing all of the hallmarks that MOON audio components are known for, the CD-1 and i-1 represent a new benchmark in high-end audio.

http://www.simaudio.com/newproducts.htm

It's worth checking out.

jbk
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #11
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: Pre Amp and CD Player recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
Here are a couple of new products from Sim Audion that fit in your price range:

The MOON CD-1 CD Player and MOON i-1 Integrated Amplifier represent Simaudio's full-out assault on the price-to-performance ratio. Both models offer sonics and build quality that are unheralded at their respective price points. Possessing all of the hallmarks that MOON audio components are known for, the CD-1 and i-1 represent a new benchmark in high-end audio.

http://www.simaudio.com/newproducts.htm

It's worth checking out.

jbk
I like the CD-1 but it's $300 more than the REGA with very similar qualities.

The integrated amp is more than he needs (he just needs a Pre-Amp because he has an amp).

I'm a fan of Simaudio but with his McIntosh bug I'd suggest spending less.

Still if it works well with the NAD Pre-Amp he may want to give it a listen.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #12
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: White Plains, New York
Posts: 1,706
Default Re: Pre Amp and CD Player recommendations

Listen, you gotta leave room for the Mcintosh dream system.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
amp, ayre, cd, classic, great, integrated, linn, living, player, pre, preamp, preamplifier, recommendations, room, simaudio, sound

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two-channel pre-amp recommendations please Silver Supra Preamps (Audio & Video) 9 06-21-2008 03:59 AM
Recommendations for a Pre-Amp needed LindaE Preamps (Audio & Video) 26 04-08-2008 05:32 PM
New Ayre pre-amp Silver Supra Preamps (Audio & Video) 7 12-17-2007 03:04 PM
Best Amp/Pre-Amp for Wilson Duettes xyclo Amplifiers (Mono, Stereo & Multi-Channel) 7 10-18-2007 05:04 PM
Meridian brings DVD & DVD-Audio to the CD Player with the 800 Player AVRevForum.com Source Components 0 07-23-2007 04:50 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1