Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 10-29-2008   #43

Default Re: Halcro SSP-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
I have never actually had to pay to get mine upgraded because it kept failing, and Halcro kept replacing it.
The last I heard, it was ~$1500 USD to upgrade it from an SSP-100 to an SSP-200, but that was over a year ago, and now the SSP-220 is available.

Also, from what I heard, the majority of the electronics are changed out to make this upgrade, so if you were to pay to have it done, it would be worth the money.

The best upgrade that I think they have done so far is to add MCPCM decoding (occurred when the SSP-100 was upgraded to an SSP-200) which will let you hear all the new codecs, providing that you have a BR player that can decode them and send them out via MCPCM.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll try to contact Halcro in Europe to see what the costs will be. I'm using the Pioneer BDP-LX70 and Toshiba HD-EX1 as BR and HD DVD so i would like to hear the new formats. Just comparing the normal DTS format between the Lexicon MC8 and SSP100, I must say that I prefer the Halcro. More crisp sound and more dynamics. Configuration wise I prefer the MC8 but that could be because I'm used to it.

Thanks for your advise.

Stefan
stefke42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #44

The Halcro really has great sound, and I have yet to hear anything better which is why I continue to put with them.
Hopefully, you will get lots of hours of good listening from your SSP-100.

Also, you may want to contact your Halcro rep. about getting the software for your computer to program it's remote, and to do your own firmware updates - if you like doing that sort of thing.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #45

Just to update the with the latest info. I've been in contact with Halcro Europe (based in Ireland) and they have been really very helpful. The level of support is great. They've proposed me to ship my ssp 100 to them for upgrade. The unit will be upgraded to ssp 220 and it will take them about 2 days. They've also informed me that they will provide me a docking station for my remote. The upgrade doesn't include the replacement of the front panel. It can be done but it costs 300 euro extra. The only difference is the type indication. So, all in all very good news and great support from Halcro.
Old 11-05-2008   #46

In the mean time I did also some more listening in stereo and must say that this sounds really much better than my Lexicon MC8 in stereo. And my CD player isn't yet connected via the balanced interlinks. They are on order and I should receive them early next week. This should further improve the sound quality. I must say that I'm impressed so far.
Old 11-05-2008   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefke42 View Post
Just to update the with the latest info. I've been in contact with Halcro Europe (based in Ireland) and they have been really very helpful. The level of support is great. They've proposed me to ship my ssp 100 to them for upgrade. The unit will be upgraded to ssp 220 and it will take them about 2 days. They've also informed me that they will provide me a docking station for my remote. The upgrade doesn't include the replacement of the front panel. It can be done but it costs 300 euro extra. The only difference is the type indication. So, all in all very good news and great support from Halcro.
300 EURO is too much for just a front panel. Hopefully, they gave you a good deal on the upgrade of the electronics to go from a 100 to a 220.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #48

Exactly what I thought as well. Regarding the upgrade, the price is 1000 Euro. I think that this is a good price for upgrading to ssp220.
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, 200, 220, 98, clicking, dropout, dtc, halcro, hdmi, integra, mpcm, picture, processor, ps3, review, reviews, sound, ssp, surround, video