Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 02-16-2008   #25

Default Halcro SSP broken after MPCM upgrade - replace with Integra?

While my unit worked initially after the MPCM upgrade, it soon developed a loud, persistent clicking noise (the same click when you switch sources on a functioning unit) that occurs when the unit is powered on, regardless of which source it is switched to. The sound coming out of my speakers is choppy, intermittent, and unintelligible. The unit also powered off randomly. Needless to say, this was a very disappointing result for an "upgrade."
After reporting this issue to Halcro, they said to send the unit back. However, since I'm currently in the midst of pre-production on a major motion picture, the SSP100 is vital to my screening room where I'm screening footage for the key creative team. I cannot afford any down time, so I began looking into picking up an Integra DTC-9.8.
Then, on a whim, I smacked the unit a few times as it was making the godawful clicking noise (as one might do to silence a faulty fan in a PC) and lo' and behold the SSP began to work again. Operation was relatively normal for about two weeks before the clicking returned in full force. There were sporadic clicks even during seemingly normal playback and use, but it was operational enough to get the job done. Again, this applied to all inputs, both analog and digital. There were also random audio dropouts during movies (in addition to the clicking) and occasional video blackouts over HDMI. Unfortunately, the unit has now reverted back to its previous state and is now pretty much inoperable. If Halcro is able to send me an advance replacement or loaner, then I'll give it another chance, but the timing is critical. If not, I will have to go with the next best thing. And that seems to be the Integra (I'm not going back to Anthem).

My question is: how does the Integra 9.8 compare to the Halcro? I need something that can do HD audio formats, but more importantly, I need something reliable. I'm just wondering how much I'll miss the Halcro if I "downgrade" to the Integra. Anyone out there who has experience with both units?

Last edited by fugueness; 02-16-2008 at 07:46 PM..
fugueness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #26

Default Re: Halcro SSP-200

The problem is more than likely flaky contacts in the power supply wiring connectors. I notified Joe Bayer (president of Halcro) of this a few days ago so his engineer Paddy can take it up with the Finnish subcontractor who manufactures the SSP.

Parasound had this problem in the C 1 and C 2 surround controllers in 2002-2003. The C 1 and C 2 use the same Finnish mother board as the Halcro SSPs and the previous generation version of the same Finnish DSP board. The Parasound models had no further issues after their original brand wiring harness connectors were replaced with Molex trifurcon connectors. I hope this info is helpful. Richard
RichardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
. . . Keep your eyes open for a review on the SSP-200.
Brian, when's the review coming out? Did I miss it?
Halcro recommended Final Fantasy and stealth for a good demo of uncompressed-multichannel PCM.
I picked them up on sale the other night, but have not had a chance to hear/see them yet.
You might also want to try them if you have not finished your review.
The Eagles HD DVD sounded incredible as well, you might want to try it also.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #28

I just moved into a new house and am setting up the systemnow. I expect to have it up and running next weekend so that I can move forward and get caught up with reviews.I have seen the Stealth demo and it was impressive. I will let you know how the SSP-200 is working as soon as all is up and running.
Brian
Old 03-04-2008   #29

Quote:
I just moved into a new house and am setting up the systemnow. I expect to have it up and running next weekend so that I can move forward and get caught up with reviews.I have seen the Stealth demo and it was impressive. I will let you know how the SSP-200 is working as soon as all is up and running.
Brian
Also, try 3:10 to Yuma. It's in 7.1 uncompressed PCM, and sounds great!
Old 05-21-2008   #30

Quote:
Brian
Brian, how's the testing going?
Have you posted an article, and I've missed it?
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, 200, 220, 98, clicking, dropout, dtc, halcro, hdmi, integra, mpcm, picture, processor, ps3, review, reviews, sound, ssp, surround, video