Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 02-06-2008   #19

Default Re: Halcro SSP-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asahikasei View Post
Yet I have shown that other high end processors do not do this like the lexicon and mcintosh so why would halcro be any different? Can you take some internal pictures of your halcro and post them up?
The Parasound unit doesn't even do HDMI 1.3, I think that pretty much says it all right there. There are obvious differences.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #20
Banned

Quote:
The Parasound unit doesn't even do HDMI 1.3, I think that pretty much says it all right there. There are obvious differences.
So you are compairing a new unit that just came out with HDMI 1.3 to a older parasound? The halcro was proven to use the same OEM platform as the parasound.

Audio DSP: Motorola DSP56367Audio DAC: ASAHI KASEI AK4395 The HDMI also has an Audio DSP: Motorola DSP56371

The SSP-100 ran a Motorola DSP56371 so you might want to see what they are running now.
Asahikasei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #21

Well, due to plane flights out of CA, we ended up spending nearly all day today instead of yesterday pulling out and replacing my upgraded SSP-100 with a brand new SSP-200. This was the first time I heard uncompressed audio through the Halcro, and it sounds really good. Except for losing nearly an entire work day to do this, everything worked out great.

The Halcro rep. did recommend Ultralink and Acoustic Zen for HDMI cable (or at least that is what he has seen to have the the best luck with Halcro equipment.) I have been using Ultralink for the Halcro to the projector, since at the time, it was the only reliable cable for long HDMI runs. I have been using a mix of different HDMI cables for connecting DVD, LG BH200, and Sat. which have all seemed to be performing about the same w/o any problems.

Also, I asked about the slow lock on problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
. . .I have found that at times the processor can be a bit slow to lock onto a signal when changing sources but once locked on I have not had a problem losing the signal.
I was told this is due to HDMI handshaking. It just takes longer to lock on to an HDMI signal due to all the handshaking peculiarities of HDMI equipment.

Also, I was told that Halcro will be coming out with a firmware update to add 1080p/24 capability.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #22

Glade to hear it went well. I'll endorse Acoustic Zen as well. Robert Lee is amazing at putting together great cable at an amazing price.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #23

Uncompressed multi-channel audio through the SSP-200 sounds amazing. I am hoping to get my system back up and running in my dedicated A/V room in our new house next week so I can spend some more time with the system.
Brian
Old 02-14-2008   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Uncompressed multi-channel audio through the SSP-200 sounds amazing. I am hoping to get my system back up and running in my dedicated A/V room in our new house next week so I can spend some more time with the system.
Brian
I agree, this is a huge improvement in sound. I did not realize what I was missing until I heard it. Even before we re-calibrated the new SSP-200 for my speakers/room, we played the Stealth BD in both uncompressed and compressed and the difference was still huge.

Are you keeping the SSP-200, or will you have to give it back after your review?
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, 200, 220, 98, clicking, dropout, dtc, halcro, hdmi, integra, mpcm, picture, processor, ps3, review, reviews, sound, ssp, surround, video