Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 11-14-2007   #1

Default HD DVD/ Blu ray into pre/pro

My pre/pro doesn't have hdmi and I'm guessing that's the deal with a lot of people at this point so I'm wondering how you're all connecting a hd dvd/ blu ray player. I guess the 5.1 analog is the best but then I can't connect my reference music player 5.1 analogs for dvd audio/ sacd.
spearl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #2

Default Re: HD DVD/ Blu ray into pre/pro

I am still using coaxial digital for now. Waiting for the pre/pro market to catch up with HDMI in's.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #3

Thumbs up Re: HD DVD/ Blu ray into pre/pro

It is really interesting, if you think about it. Onkyo especially, as well as Yamaha, Integra, Denon, and even Sunfire, all have high quality, decent powered, receivers with the new HDMI inputs and outputs. But, the ultra high end companies that make separates, do not.

I pose a question here that I posed in another thread, will home theater receivers, start to replace separates, as the hub or center of systems in the future?
Which will raise the old debated question for years, which is better, receivers or separates? I don`t really see people questioning that right now!!

And, and less you have Wilson Watt puppies, Revels Salons, Avalon Isis speakers that require a high powered amp, the home theater receiver might now be the ticket. Power, features, XM or Sirius radio, HDMI inputs and outputs, connections for your universal player as well, RS232 and zoning capability, the receiver is packed with goodies.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #4

Some of the higher end companies (Lexicon, Sunfire, etc.) have made receivers in addition to the separates. I like separates better for the performance and flexibility. But, some receivers cost as much as separates, have more flexibility, and are reaching the performance of many separates. Also, with the hook up issues and adding more and more components (HD DVD & BD) people that don't have huge racks are running out of room.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #5

Yeah I do think that receivers will become more common in home theaters now. It's really disappointing how the newest technologies start out in the cheapest gear now. In the car industry, the newest technologies appear in the flagship model, say a Mercedes S class, and then over time down to the E and C classes. If you want a high end pre/pro with hdmi 1.3 you have to wait now months or even years after much cheaper receivers have them.
spearl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
Some of the higher end companies (Lexicon, Sunfire, etc.) have made receivers in addition to the separates. I like separates better for the performance and flexibility. But, some receivers cost as much as separates, have more flexibility, and are reaching the performance of many separates. Also, with the hook up issues and adding more and more components (HD DVD & BD) people that don't have huge racks are running out of room.
Yes, receivers have definitely gotten closer. I mean, I remember that high end magazines would not even review a receiver in their mags. Times, have definitely changed. That is why I said, I mean, I`m for separates too, especially if high power and inefficient speakers are the order of the day. But, though everything is in one box, which was the old argument as why not to buy a receiver, the reviews that Andrew and others have done, prove that home theater receivers are more than a viable solution for todats solutions.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
add, audio, avalon, connecting, dvd, end, hdmi, high, isis, player, pre, prepro, pro, receiver, reciever, speaker, super