Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 08-25-2009   #25
Administrator

Default Re: What is better, LCD or Plasma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patroklos
I suggest plasma as a safe bet. Plasmas give you more bang for your buck,while LCDs can give you better resolution, plasma still has the edge in terms of picture quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
LCD TV's cannot give any better resolution than a comparable plasma, that's physically impossible.
Somehow I think he left some words out, but I can't think of any that would make any sense.
rbinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
Somehow I think he left some words out, but I can't think of any that would make any sense.
A high percentage of first time posters here tend to be spammers.
Usually they just want you to click their links.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
A high percentage of first time posters here tend to be spammers.
Usually they just want you to click their links.
If they are spammers I try to get them. No harm in his post, but the link in the signature is a no no, so it was removed the day of the post.
rbinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Much of what you are saying here is based on myths, half truths and LCD manufacturers marketing hype. Please do some thorough research before posting such LCD hype.

Care to mention what parts of that statement were based on "hype" and "myths"? From everything I know, it seemed pretty accurate. But if you could illuminate the facts, as you see them, perhaps we would all be benefit. As it is, you really haven't added anything to the discussion of the issue.
LotusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #29

There are a at least a few half-truths which are more relevant to plasmas of 4 or 5 years ago than to today's sets.

Burn-in is pretty much non-existent in current plasmas unless you abuse the set. Temporary image retention is possible but still fairly rare on todays' plasmas. Energy consumption of the latest plasmas is only a little bit higher than LCDs and may actually be lower, depending on how the set is adjusted and what is being watched.
Power consumption in plasmas is variable and depends on the brightness and color intensity of the material being watched. LCD sets generally use the same amount of power regardless.

Current plasmas work well at much higher altitudes than those of a few years ago and only people living above 7000 ft should have any concern. Some plasmas work fine at altitudes up to 9000 ft. If you don't live in New Mexico or Colorado, you shouldn't have to worry about plasma.

Plasmas do not contribute enormous amounts of heat to a room unless you have poor or no air circulation.

Motion handling in plasmas is very different than for LCDs so things like 120 or 240hz refresh rates are irrelevant to plasma. Plasmas don't have LCD's motion problems.

Many plasmas work perfectly fine in illuminated rooms as long as you are not shining direct sunlight on them. Most TVs or whatever technology don't look their best (or even very good) in brightly illuminated rooms.
JazzGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #30

Cool Re: What is better, LCD or Plasma?

Okay, just a little twist - What is better, LCD, Plasma or LED?
robertgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
120hz, 56, beating, better, blu, cooler, format, forum, hdtv, heat, lcd, plasma, ray, rev, whats