Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 11-27-2007   #13

Default Re: Pioneer Kuro Plamsa HDTVs

They are undoubtedly the best plasmas ever made. My best friend just got the 50", I am trying to keep myself from putting the same one in my bedroom, but alas I have a shopping problem and need to curtail some spending....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
They are undoubtedly the best plasmas ever made. My best friend just got the 50", I am trying to keep myself from putting the same one in my bedroom, but alas I have a shopping problem and need to curtail some spending....
lol. You need to forever stay on this forum. Just reading your comment has my stomach turning knots from laughter.

Go ahead, make my day!!! Order your KURO!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #15

Yeah, thanks Greg, like I need encouragement!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #16

Smile Re: Pioneer Kuro Plamsa HDTVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Yeah, thanks Greg, like I need encouragement!
Alright, I`ll be easy on you. But check this. A gentlemen that I might be going into business with, his Pastor just ordered the Onyko 905 receiver, and the new Pioneer 50 inch Kuro. I`ve been asked to go help with the installation. Wiring and construction has already been done, with a 7.2 system with in-wall speakers. So, when I get the phone call, I`ll let you know how it goes. Then Ii can report first hand on how the Pioneer Kuro looks.

BTW, this young man is a certified ISF as well. So, I`m excited.

Last edited by deacongreg; 12-08-2007 at 03:49 PM..
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #17

Hi, there, just joined your forum, longtime mag reader and fan.... do a lot of reading and occasional post over at AVS. Anyway, I am going to purchase either the non-Elite or Elite 50" Kuro after Christmas/first part of January and move my 4th generation Pioneer plasma into the bedroom. My question for those of you who may know is this: I have a large collection of SD DVDs. I have been waiting out this war, and when I get into it, many of my DVDs may not be issued on HD/BD, or I may not choose to spend the additional money to replace some of them. I am looking at possibly the Oppo 981 to go with the Kuro, and move my Denon 2910 into the bedroom along with a Denon receiver with HDMI (hoping the "handshake" works so I can use the video switching along with my DTV receiver). Now the question "smiles", sorry for all the pre-explanation: Is the scaler and de-interlacer in the Kuro better than most of what is available in a good DVD player, or not? The reviews for the Oppo rave about the pic scaled to 1080P. It uses the DCDI chipset I believe. Or........ is the scaler and de-interlacer in the Kuro so good that I would be better off to send it a 480i signal and let the Pioneer do it's thing. I realize this is somewhat subjective and dependant on the DVD player being used; just seeking opinions from those of you that have this plasma or have seen it, as well as knowing something about the internals. Thanks!!!

John
PS: one other caveat I forgot to mention, the Kuros I believe have a "1 to 1" pixel match option. Curious if a better picture is obtained sending the plasma a 1080p signal and setting the Pioneer to "1 to 1". I realize the Oppo 1080p is an upscaled 480i, but curious just the same. Also Oppo is coming out with a new model, the 983, that uses Anchor Bay technology for de-interlacing and scaling ..... may be my solution until a winner emerges.

Last edited by antennahead; 12-08-2007 at 09:50 AM..
antennahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #18

In reading the report I cannot believe that a $5000 tv set does not have a setting to blacken the side bars from grey. My brother just bought a Samsung 5054 Plasma and this set has that feature. You can also set each input for what color temperature or name not-what adjustements you desire. At a sale price of $1100, if he needed he could have bought over 4 Samsungs for the price of the Pioneer. Although I have not seen it, his friend bought the Sony LCD XBR5 50 incher for a steal at $2800 and in fact bought two of them. I have not seen the set play, but my brother says it is magnificent.

I have great respect for Pioneer for they brought big screen tv out of the dark ages so many years back with there first 40 inch projector set that was the rage of reviewers. I have liked their dvd players as well for the picture quality they deliver thanks to their research on bringing the laserdisc to market to function so well. But for the money they charge, there should not be a fault in such a set that they make as the Kuros and they should be fully adjustable on all inputs as to the choice of what the buyer desires in his picture quality. Not having a side black bar setting is totally inexcusable.
kelsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, channel, deinterlacer, event, find, forum, good, halt, hd, kuro, pioneer, plamsa, receive, rex, tv