Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 03-06-2012   #1

Default Plasma vs. LDC (LED)

Hi there,
I'm in a debate with myself regarding which screen I should buy, plasma or LCD.
I'm looking into buying a 46" screen. Right now I have a Samsung LCD 32" screen, the model is LA32A550, and I'm really enjoying it. I mostly use the screen for watching HD movies from my computer, and rarely as a regular TV screen. High quality viewing of HD films (mostly 1080p mkv files) is my most important factor.
I've read that plasma screens have deeper color, black and contrast however they less computer compatible.
On the other hand LCD screens just look a bit sharper for my eyes than plasma, is that at all true?
I'd love to get your advice on what kind of screen fits me the best. If you could be kind enough to explain your opinion I'd appreciate that. I'd also like to hear about specific models that you can reccomend.
Thanks a lot guys!
Looking forward for your recommendations.
zg1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Plasma vs. LDC (LED)

If you have a darken room, then plasma is hard to beat for picture quality. If your room is well lit or you have a light colored wall opposite the TV, then the black levels will be reduced due to reflection. My blog (www.highdefinitionblog.com) has an entry describing this in detail.

If you have a brightly lit room and if you will have static elements such as window outlines present for any significant periods of time, the LCD may be best for you. I'd opt for a LCD that has a matte finish.

Personally I have both a plasma (Panasonic) and a LCD (LG) and I watch the LCD almost exclusively due to room lighting and connection to a HTPC.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #3

Look, usually when I watch a movies I close all the windows and watch it in a dark environment, but I use the screen as HTPC. Isn't the fact that computer is connected makes LCD screen more compatible for me?

Last edited by zg1984; 03-07-2012 at 02:39 AM..
zg1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zg1984 View Post
Look, usually when I watch a movies I close all the windows and watch it in a dark environment, but I use the screen as HTPC. Isn't the fact that computer is connected makes LCD screen more compatible for me?
Depends on how much time you will not be watching movies with it in full screen. LCD will be the safer bet when attached to a PC.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #5

I'll try this on my new Samsung and let you know how it works out. There are apparently several ways to get content into it - via USB memory stick or HD, via ethernet or wirelessly using a Samsung adapter. I could not tell what media formats were supported. Different technology. Your flat-screen LED uses them to backlight the LCD panel (and are white). LED-lighted RPTV's use Red, Green and Blue LEDs to create all the colors on the screen via highly coordinated LED lights flashing on/off and millions of tiny mirrors.
RoseannaJuares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #6

I had bought a Samsung LED TV UA46D6000 in December. It had a picture display complaint within 2 months of purchase.
RoseannaJuares is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, 2012, computer, inurlforum, lcd, led, movies, plasma, powered, screens, television, tvs, vbulletin, vs, watch