Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Plasma and LCD HDTV (http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lcd-hdtv-20/)
-   -   Plasma Burn Question (http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lcd-hdtv/5131-plasma-burn-question.html)

rg8043 12-13-2010 11:44 AM

Plasma Burn Question

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I did not find an answer to my question when I searched. I want to purchase a 40" flat screen for my son for xmas. went to the stores and found a nice panasonic 40" plasma. The salesman said that it would be the right set because my son will use it to watch sports and play video games ( the refresh rate?). He also told me that the burn in problem is not an issue as long as my son doesn't leave the tv on with an image showing. Since I expect my son to turn off the tv when not in use this doesn't seem like a problem.

went to another store and was told that the plasma will experience a burn in problem so I should buy an lcd. What bothers me is that this store did not sell many plasmas, so know I am wondering who is correct.

Since each salesman had a vested interest in selling me a tv , I am looking for an objective opinion and that is why I turned to this forum, this is my first post. Is burning an image on the screen really an issue, I read on this forum that the newer technology has addressed this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rob

rbinck 12-13-2010 07:51 PM

Re: Plasma Burn Question

It can be a problem if there is any static images left on the screen. Plasma displays are especially vulnerable during the first 200 hours or so until the cells are aged. After that time period, the burn in issues are greatly reduced, but are still present. Playing games without head up displays, especially during the first 200 hours, is recommended. Those displays will be static and subject to burn in. Also console games will have less contrast than most PC games. Movies and regular TV should not be a problem as long as it is full screen for the first 200 hours. Also reducing the contrast during the break in period is helpful.

You don't need to baby a LCD from the get go, but you may experience some lag during gaming. Some of the newer LCDs have a game mode that will bypass most of the video processing to eliminate the lag.

If it were me I would game on both TVs to be sure the LCD chosen does not have a lag that is annoying.

starvinmarvin 12-16-2010 05:25 PM

We've had our Pioneer 50-inch plasma TV for about eighteen months. There have been no burn-in/image retention issues at all. When it was brand new we kept it running many hours a day for the first few weeks, and we made sure it was on a channel where the picture varied a lot. We did NOT leave it on a channel with a banner across the bottom or top of the screen, or a "news ticker" banner, etc. After the first three weeks or so, we have watched TV programs or movies for two to three hours a day. During football season it might be five or six hours on a weekend. Also, one of my computers is connected to the plasma so I use it as a big-screen monitor for playing games (mostly first-person shooter games and racing simulations) for a couple of hours three or four times a week. There's no blurring or other motion artifacts, no burn-in, and you can watch from way off to the side with absolutely no dimming of the picture or the color. Frankly, no LCD or LED/LCD set can match all those qualities. When we look at photos and videos from our Canon digital camera it's easy to see that the color is distinctly more natural looking (flesh tones, flowers in our yard, etc.) than when viewed on any of our three computer monitors (Samsung, NEC, ASUS). I think you'll find that most plasma TVs also have a built-in feature to avoid possible image retention, too. To sum up, plasmas offer terrific color, no lag or blur during rapid movement of images, and they have a very wide viewing angle.
One possible drawback, depending on where you use the TV, is that plasmas usually have a glass screen. If you have big sun-filled windows opposite the TV location then you may notice more reflections on the plasma glass screen than on some of the better LCDs. If your windows are off to the side (this is best no matter what kind of TV you have) then glare/reflections will never be a problem. We have a big window right across from our plasma. At night, and for casual viewing during the day, the light from the window is no problem. On the rare occasion we sit down to watch a movie when the sun is shining in the window, we lower the shade - problem solved!

rg8043 12-17-2010 10:56 AM

Thank you for your response, based on what I have read here, I am going to purchase the Plasma.

69ctv69 07-18-2011 07:10 PM

Thank you for your response, based on what I have read here, I am going to purchase the Plasma.