Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008   #19
Super Member
 
rlpiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 506
Default Re: Which 1080P for sports?

You poke fun at CNET, and then use Consumer Reports as a source. Are you serious? I thought everyone here knows CR is bought and paid for. Don't use them as reference, that only weakens your argument. You were doing well until you through them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbitman View Post
I have to laugh.....You are quoting CNET? I base my analysis and my debate on facts and articles written by fellow engineers in "white papers" and Engineer association magazines and other rags like "Widescreen Review? ...and you are quoting CNET? . . .

I don't even have to go as far as "white" papers....Just read the last review from "Consumers Reports"....most of us "engineers" in the broadcast industry will tell you that their findings are very accurate.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #20
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: Which 1080P for sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbitman View Post
I have to laugh.....You are quoting CNET? I base my analysis and my debate on facts and articles written by fellow engineers in "white papers" and Engineer association magazines and other rags like "Widescreen Review? ...and you are quoting CNET?
CNET uses ISF certified Reviewers and does better testing than most magazines. Kevin Miller writes for both Audio Video Revolution and CNET doesn't he?

Quote:
Then you tell me to chill and then proceed to "bash" me on every point I make with moot arguments? Like: "How many people don't sit in front of their TVs? The viewing angle problem is serious if you sit over 6 feet off dead center. How many people do that?"
I never told you to chill. Learn to associate names with statements. It isn't a moot arguement. I don't know many people that sit 6 feet off center of their TVs.

Quote:
How many people watch TV alone? Especially sports....usually you have L shaped seating in a living room unless you are Bill Gates. That means that your guests are probably seating at an angle unless you want to be cozy and put 6 people on a sofa made for 2 or 3.
SIX FEET from center to the left and SIX FEET center to the right would produce a TWELVE FOOT couch. Also I said it wasn't for "parties," but for around 6 people to watch. For me it's perfect in my bedroom and living room. My parties for watching events happen in the Theater.

Quote:
What did you do? Stay up all night googling every web-site so that you could come up with answers for your precious Sammy? What is it? They paying you or something?
Is that your best response? I didn't google Audio Revolution, we're on their website! I know CNET now uses some of the best testing for TVs and is virtually unbiased. It was easy to look that review up and low and behold they found the same results I did!

Quote:
I just finished explaining "Technically" why a plasma's technology is superior to an LCD's especially in a "controlled" environment!
No. You described rather poorly how you believe Plasmas are better than CCFL LCDs. Which is actually pointless to the arguement. I agree Plasmas are superior to CCFL LCDs.

Quote:
And you have NOT tested the new Viera sets from Panasonic or you would know hat they are testing every bit as good as all the new Pioneer Kuros except for the Pioneer ELite Pro Plasma
I haven't? Now you think you know what I do and don't do? I have to tell you I have tested the new Panasonics with a Konica Minolta CS-200 color meter among other things. Why on earth would I be discussing the Sammy 81 with any Kuro but the Elite Pro Plasma? That's the category it's in. The Sammy and the Elite are in a realm all by themselves.

Quote:
....among the best TV's out there....Then there is stuff you will never see like the Fujitsu, Vidikron, B & O, ect....No Sammy will ever touch any of these sets....
I never saw a Fujitsu, Vidikron, etc? Are you serious? Now you know what kind of sets I've seen. Guess what? The Sammy measures a better black than all of them and better color accuracy.

Quote:
so you're price is "no object" theory is dead in the water. I am talking the best set for sports along with bang for the buck....you still can not touch the Panasonic...period. And if you think the Sammy is still that good, you have not seen the new LCD sets from SONY and SHARP...as these are better than the "Sammy" now.
I haven't? Damn I better take that XBR out of my test room. Oh... it doesn't test as well as the Sammy either. NOTHING TESTS BETTER IN BLACK AND COLOR ACCURACY THAN THE 81 SERIES. That is a fact.

Quote:
And give me a break about this "firmware" garbage...how many people download and install the latest "firmeware" for a TV let alone what it is and entails....the average JOE here doesn't have a clue about that and could not give a hoot either.
Go find a Sammy that doesn't have the update installed out of the box. Wait you can't. They recalled them and replaced them! If you have an older set it's easy to get the update.

Quote:
I don't even have to go as far as "white" papers....Just read the last review from "Consumers Reports"....most of us "engineers" in the broadcast industry will tell you that their findings are very accurate.
Last I knew CR didn't test with ISF certified people. CNET does. I trust their measurements more than CRs, sorry.

Quote:
Now before you reply to me again do two things: 1. Go to a small specialty shop or CEDIA installer and view an Pioneer ELITE PRO Plasma, Vidikron, Fujistu, B & O...etc.
Why not just go to a room in my house? I've got a Vidikron VP-6500VHD. Guess what? That sammy? Better blacks and color accuracy.

Quote:
Go to a broadcast booth and production/post production studio and watch, ask questions and learn ....then come back here and reply to me....don't start quoting me "googled" articles....that's a failure to execute.
Sorry. I co-own production studios. I don't need to go ask questions I already know the answers to.

Listen Xorbit:

The SAMMY 81 SERIES HAS THE BEST BLACKS AND COLOR ACCURACY OF ANY TV ON THE MARKET.

Deal with it. If the viewing angle is a problem, don't buy the set. That's as obvious as anything else. If the viewing angle doesn't bother someone and they place the TV in a spot where the shiny screen couldn't be a distration the set is impossible to beat right now for PQ. It has it's issues but so does that Pioneer Elite unit that I had in my house comparing the two.

LCDs with backlit LED panels are untouchable in blacks even the old QUALIA 005s were good at blacks and color accuracy. I again don't care about viewing angles for my applications. All I care about is what I see, if someone else can't see the picture we goto the Theater.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 25
Default Re: Which 1080P for sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
You poke fun at CNET, and then use Consumer Reports as a source. Are you serious? I thought everyone here knows CR is bought and paid for. Don't use them as reference, that only weakens your argument. You were doing well until you through them in.

I don't take advice from someone who doesn't know how to spell. That's threw them in....and yes I am serious....Go shop at Costco or Sam's club...they base a lot of the items that they purchase on the information that they receive from Consumers Reports....and no CR is not paid off the way you are suggesting...you should be careful as you don't know who could be reading our threads...they can sue you for defamation. Almost everyone I know consults CR before they purchase anything of value including Fridges, Stoves, Microwaves, Cars, Washers, Dryers, Dishwashers....etc...Try and tell me that their reports on dishwashers is wrong? Or how they knew that a certain brand of washer was trouble waiting to happen....the washing machine mfg got sued big time with a class action suit...

That's propaganda from the losers who don't want you to read CR....before you insult them go read what they have to say about the latest TV's, much more compelling information than CNET...
xorbitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #22
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: Which 1080P for sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbitman View Post
I don't take advice from someone who doesn't know how to spell.
Don't correct him on grammar. You use elipses poorly and have the audacity to incorrectly tell someone they mispelled a word? He correctly spelled the word, he used the wrong word which is a different thing.

CR doesn't run the same tests as other places. They care more about intuitive remotes and lifespans. CR doesn't test PQ anywhere near the level of a CNET review or even a Kevin Miller AVREV review let alone what I put TVs through for my stores.

Also don't tell people to stop insulting things when you have insulted me by implying that I don't know brands like Vidikron.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #23
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: Which 1080P for sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbitman View Post
Wrong...anyone with any kind of serious engineering background will tell you that: 1. They are much better than regular back lit LCD's however an LCD panel with never produce blacks as well as a Plasma....Never period.
Wrong. It's been tested. No TV ever made has ever produced a better black:

"The Samsung can produce the deepest shade of black of any flat-panel HDTV we've tested, regardless of technology" that's from CNET's review.

I know this is a fact too. I've tested over 200 TVs in my lifetime. The Sammy does produce the best blacks ever.

I suggest you learn the difference between LED and CCFL before you try and continue this conversation. As for Sam Runco having a problem with my statement we've already discussed it. Yes I have a Runco projector it's a SC-1 and being installed this week even. No it's not a 12' screen.

It's a 20' screen.

I know you're trying to be "smart," but you really can google all you want on color meters, etc. You won't convince me that the test results are any different than they obviously are.

Don't tell me what engineers are going to think. An engineer will want data and they won't argue with it. If the data says the TV does X in black, then it does X.

I'm sorry you feel so irrationally about LCD vs Plasma. Personally I've hated all LCDs except for the Qualia 005s and the new Sammy. I love Plasma and have always suggested them. The new 81 is a different breed.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 25
Default Re: Which 1080P for sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Wrong. It's been tested. No TV ever made has ever produced a better black:

"The Samsung can produce the deepest shade of black of any flat-panel HDTV we've tested, regardless of technology" that's from CNET's review.

I know this is a fact too. I've tested over 200 TVs in my lifetime. The Sammy does produce the best blacks ever.

I suggest you learn the difference between LED and CCFL before you try and continue this conversation. As for Sam Runco having a problem with my statement we've already discussed it. Yes I have a Runco projector it's a SC-1 and being installed this week even. No it's not a 12' screen.

It's a 20' screen.

I know you're trying to be "smart," but you really can google all you want on color meters, etc. You won't convince me that the test results are any different than they obviously are.

Don't tell me what engineers are going to think. An engineer will want data and they won't argue with it. If the data says the TV does X in black, then it does X.

I'm sorry you feel so irrationally about LCD vs Plasma. Personally I've hated all LCDs except for the Qualia 005s and the new Sammy. I love Plasma and have always suggested them. The new 81 is a different breed.
1.Yes Kevin is good! I like him too! However he is just one authority...there are many others.

2.Most living rooms feature a sofa on one side and a love seat on the other....usually at an offset of 90 degrees.....

3. Lucky you...so you have a 20 foot diagonal screen with a Runco projector! There is nothing scientific about boasting....just because you have something doesn't mean you know how to use it or that you are an authority. I know lots of Porsche drivers who have lost their drivers licenses. Next thing you are going to do is tell us that this TV is the best because you drive a Bently! LOL!

4. And personally I prefer the: Konica/Minolta Spectroradiometer CS-2000...Maybe a benchmark in the industry? That's your word against many others.....we need to sit down and shut up because all of a sudden GOD(Lotus) has spoken...sorry!

5. XBR sets : some were good but the a lot of them that were manufactured outside of Japan had problems.

6. ISF is not the only authority...there are others...ISF is good but why do you need ISF accreditation if you have SMPTE accreditation/membership? How do you know that CR does not use people with SMPTE membership/accreditation? Besides ISF is not mentioned anywhere on the SMPTE web site or even on Wikipedia!

7. What an ego...now you are boasting! What does that have to do with scientific measurement?
Now you are name dropping to further boost your own ego...I bet Sam Runco does not care who you are!

8. If you own or co-own a production studio, I doubt it can be as good as anything CBC has here in Montreal or even the broadcast booth at the Bell Center (Hockey).

9.That's just your opinion! Why should I accept your opinion when you have not offered one iota of a compelling arguement other than to tell all of us readers here that you have lots money and don't know what to do with it....there is a place for people like you: Las Vegas.


10. Wrong...anyone with any kind of serious engineering background will tell you that: They are much better than regular back lit LCD's however an LCD panel with never produce blacks as well as a Plasma....Never period. Even with this Acitve LED backlighting....it's still the same old, same old.....LCD.
Most of the reviews on this TV recommend looking at less expensive TV's even from Samsung themselves such as FP-T5084. It's not as thin as the Mitsubishi LT-52244
The Samsung does not display skin tones as well as a Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR or the Vizio GV52LF. Want me to go on?

Last edited by xorbitman; 03-02-2008 at 07:32 PM..
xorbitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
32h42, 6500vhd, axis, cnet, costco, firmware, home, kuro, led, lnt4681f, off, panasonic, reviews, sansung, theater, vidikron

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jerry Del Colliano on Fox Sports? JerryDelColliano Off-Topic Posts 7 09-11-2008 12:21 PM
For HD TV & Sports viewing: 720p or 1080p? tinman30 Video Projectors 3 02-22-2008 01:58 PM
Vote for your favorite HDTV for sports from the list AVRevForum.com Audio Video Revolution Names Best HDTVs for 2007 Football Season 23 10-06-2007 10:31 AM
Can JVC's current 1080p TVs accept 1080p signal via component AudioGuy2007 Rear Projection HDTV 1 09-11-2007 02:12 PM
NO USC in HD - DAMN YOU FOX SPORTS JerryDelColliano What's on HDTV? 0 09-01-2007 09:38 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1