Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 07-10-2010   #13
Administrator

Default Re: LCD TV vs Plasma TV.

I don't notice any lag or drag on my LCD or my plasma. Really the only difference I notice is the reflectiveness of my plasma vs my LCD and the plasma has a slightly better picture in a dark room.

No to be fair most of the name brand LCDs including Sharp, Sony, and particularly Samsung have such high processing that to me renders their picture unwatchable, so I see the concern.

Now also to be fair most of the motion blur that I see on either set is actually in the source. I suspected this for a while and used my HTPCs to verify it. Between macroblocking and the motion blur captured it is hard for me to blame either display. For more on this see: When Is HDTV Going to Catch Up?
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #14

If it's important to you, the continuing problem in LCD TVs is poor-off-angle viewing. These things can look awful unless you are looking at them close to straight-on; the only question is how far off-center you need to move before the color all washes out and you see a lousy photocopy of your original TV show. Plasmas do not have this problem, you can sit practically at a right angle to a plasma set and still see accurate color and contrast. So good LCD sets can be great, practically at the level of any plasma, if you directly face them; less so if your seating is to the side.

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #15
Administrator

Off angle is becoming less and less of a factor. My Daughter's Sharp has very good off axis viewing. In fact at some point the picture looks so distorted on my plasma that no one would watch at that great of an angle anyway. My main problem with my plasma is the reflectiveness. True it has better blacks than my LCD, but they get destroyed by reflections. For an example see: Plasma Glare.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
I moved it Loves.
My daughter has on of those "Oh my" Sharp LCD HDTV and it takes a 200ms audio delay to get the sound to sync. So yeah, they have some lag that would be noticeable. My 42" Westinghouse LCD monitor has practically none. Plasmas are cheaper with a better picture size for size as long as you watch dark video in a dark room. The reflectiveness of plasmas is still very high, but then so are many of the new LCD HDTVs.
macrylinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #17

Location: Deep within the dark and strange crevices of my mind !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
Off angle is becoming less and less of a factor. My Daughter's Sharp has very good off axis viewing. In fact at some point the picture looks so distorted on my plasma that no one would watch at that great of an angle anyway. My main problem with my plasma is the reflectiveness. True it has better blacks than my LCD, but they get destroyed by reflections. For an example see: Plasma Glare.
The new Sony sets have improved much in the off axis viewing area. Especially on he new 3D models. Sony's 3D pays more attention to depth of field in 3D, where as Panasonic's attention was directed at producing "Jump off the screen" imaging.

SONY LED XBR46HX929
SONY LED-LCD KDL46XBR8
Oppo 95 BDP
DENON 3311CI AVR 7.2-125 W/ch
MIRAGE OMNISTAT V2 SPKR SYS LINK*
MIRAGE OMNI S10 S/W
SA 8300 HD/DVR
Harmony 1100 Remote & HTS-1000 MKII
Monster THX & Monoprice Cables
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010   #18

Smile Re: LCD TV vs Plasma TV.

This is really useful information about LCD TV vs Plasma TV.Plasma is really great.I shall like to buy Plasma TV but Can i get price details.Nice information.
Sponsored Links

Tags
2010, betweenplasma, difference, forum, forums, lcd, ledlcdhdtv, pattern, plasma, reviews, screen, tv, versus, vs, whats