Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 07-08-2010   #7

Default Re: LCD TV vs Plasma TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
My daughter has on of those "Oh my" Sharp LCD HDTV and it takes a 200ms audio delay to get the sound to sync. So yeah, they have some lag that would be noticeable. My 42" Westinghouse LCD monitor has practically none. Plasmas are cheaper with a better picture size for size as long as you watch dark video in a dark room. The reflectiveness of plasmas is still very high, but then so are many of the new LCD HDTVs.
Not necessarily. I have a Panasonic 42" Viera plasma that handles a bright room in daylight very well. Much better than my previous HD--Sony Wega LCD projection.
danholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danholt View Post
Not necessarily. I have a Panasonic 42" Viera plasma that handles a bright room in daylight very well. Much better than my previous HD--Sony Wega LCD projection.
Well I also have a Panasonic Viera and it does not handle bright light very well at all. Maybe we have different opinions of very well.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about in a room that is not lit even well enough to read in:

For more see Plasma Glare?
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010   #9

Well, here's what I mean by handling a bright room well. My TV faces a wall of windows. During the day, with the shades open, I have no problem watching most programming with little, if any, glare, not any more than I got from my Sony Wega, or even earlier tube TVs. Yes, if I want to watch a show with a lot of dark images, I'll close the blinds.

But the point is that there is no more glare on my plasma--and a stronger, richer image to counteract when there is--than was the case with my Sony Wega or tube TVs.
danholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010   #10

Given that this thread was originally about which was better, LCD or plasma, I think it's safe to say that neither technology is absolutely better than the other -- it all depends on your room, your viewing habits (this includes not only what you watch, but when you watch it) and the particular TV in question. As with any purchase, selecting a TV is about balancing the strengths and features you want with the weaknesses you can live with. This may mean you'll end up with a different TV than what you originally had in mind, but it also means the chances of finding the best set for you are that much greater.

Oh yeah, one more thing: unless you're looking at 42" and bigger sets, the whole issue is moot -- under 42", everything is LCD.
dakmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danholt View Post
Well, here's what I mean by handling a bright room well. My TV faces a wall of windows. During the day, with the shades open, I have no problem watching most programming with little, if any, glare, not any more than I got from my Sony Wega, or even earlier tube TVs. Yes, if I want to watch a show with a lot of dark images, I'll close the blinds.

But the point is that there is no more glare on my plasma--and a stronger, richer image to counteract when there is--than was the case with my Sony Wega or tube TVs.
Yep, I'll agree that my Panny does not reflect any worse than a tube TV and in the dark there is no better picture. I just prefer my LCD in a very bright room.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #12

Yes indeed.It is a difficult choice to make.There is still the picture drag factor for LCD TV'S.Plasma still has the fastest response to action scenes.Or has this issue been practically tossed aside by the most advanced LCD TV'S.Are LED based LCD TV'S really better in picture performance than regular LCD TV'S.Of course if laser based TV'S like Mitsubishi's would be both affordable and available,would both LCD and Plasma TV'S tossed aside.Does anyone know if a laser TV would have a drag factor and would it fare well in a brightly lit room.
xsavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2010, betweenplasma, difference, forum, forums, lcd, ledlcdhdtv, pattern, plasma, reviews, screen, tv, versus, vs, whats