Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 07-29-2009   #1

Default Sony Bravia audio issue

I've got a Sony Bravia KDL-46V5100. When I'm watching broadcast HD channels, the audio is defaulting to audio 2. I'll change the audio back to audio 1, but if I change channels and return, or power the TV off and back on, the audio is again set to audio 2. Any idea what might cause this?
coreynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Sony Bravia audio issue

How are you connected? Component video, HDMI?
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #3

It's coax from the wall directly into the tv. Comcast is my provider, and they deliver a number of broadcast HD channels over the wire.
Old 07-29-2009   #4
Administrator

So what is the difference between audio 1 and audio 2? Language?
Old 07-30-2009   #5

It's alternate digital audio; the content depends on the channel. For some channels it's Spanish, for some channels (notably PBS) it's additional narration - descriptions of what's happening visually (I assume this is for visually-impaired people).

There is a Sound menu option for non-digital channels called "Alt. Audio/MTS" in which you can select "Auto SAP", which will automatically switch the TV to second audio programs when a signal is received. However, I do not see such a choice for digital channels. I do not have "Auto SAP" selected for any analog channels, in case that makes a difference.
Old 07-30-2009   #6
Administrator

I think it sounds like that's the way the digital works on that HDTV. Somewhat a bummer for you, but I'd guess that most people would want audio 1, so Sony may not get a lot of complaints. It may be worth contacting Sony as they may have a firmware update if that set is capable of using those.
Sponsored Links

Tags
alternate, audio, auto, bravia, comcast, issues, kdl46v5100, mts, pc, problemssonybravia, sap, sony, sony bravia audio problem, sound, tv