Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 07-14-2009   #25
Super Moderator

Default Re: Samsung LED TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa.royal81 View Post
I've been hearing and seeing a lot about these new LED TV models from Samsung. How are these different from LCD and plasma flat panel HDTV televisions?
Is it really a "new species of TV" as they are claiming? And how does this relate to OLED TVs?
Are they the same thing?
Hi Lisa:

The Samsung LED TV is actually an LCD display with an LED illumination system versus the prior method that uses a miniature fluorescent tube. The brightness and color content is different between the two illumination sources and this is carried through to the displays. An attempt to improve the relatively poor contrast of LCD displays is incorporated in later versions by controlling the brightness of groups of the LEDs, something not possible with a single fluorescent tube.

OLED displays use a matirx of timy Organic compound LEDs as the display, rather than as an illuminator for an LCD. I have not seen any large format OLED displays yet, and the displays I have seen are very good, and very expensive. I have observed that the vendors are hard at work trying to overcome the reliability problems, and bring the costs down of this technology.

Plasma displays use electrical discharges though a gas filled tube, and use phosphors essentially identical to those used in conventional CRT displays to produce light.
Old 07-30-2009   #26

There is no fire sale.
Prices on the finest flat panels available today (Pioneer Kuro's) are and have always been near suggested retail. Check out Best Buy/ Magnolia's website- the 60" Elite Kuros are AT RETAIL while the samsung 55"8000 is 600 bucks off.

People are paying top dollar still for the best. Just because Plasmas are not "as profitable" to manufacture in no way way reflects upon their performance.

In a light controlled room , properly calibrated, Kuros blow away everything else.

Bias runs both ways and "Early adopter" LED buyers are just as guilty.

What do cinematographers, and cameramen in Hollywood buy today? July 30, 2009- they buy Kuros and they will until they're gone....
levoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #27

Oh yeah!

if you believe what an A/V salesman tells you regarding TV set up at Best Buy.....

http://www.cepro.com/article/is_best...v_calibration/

Last edited by levoncam; 07-30-2009 at 04:33 PM..
levoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #28
jbk

I'm holding off on a second HDTV until the VIZIO LED HDTV"S hit the market. For me it is a price performance issue when is comes time to purchase electronics.

Does anyone know who is making the VIZIO LED panels?

Has anyone seen one yet?

JBK
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #29

Does anyone know future LED tv's
lisa.royal81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #30

upup! watch TV now
scotizvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, blue, forum, kuro, led, ledtvs, post, ray, samsung, sansung, system, tv, tvs, video, wwwsamsungcom