Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Plasma and LCD HDTV (http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lcd-hdtv-20/)
-   -   lcd vs. plasma (http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lcd-hdtv/3272-lcd-vs-plasma.html)

waltc 04-04-2009 03:34 PM

lcd vs. plasma

Hi all, I just purchased a Samsung 52'' lcd hdtv. It is replacing a Panasonic 42'' plasma. The Panasonic had a much better picture than the new Samsung. In the retail store the lcd had a fantastic picture. I hope there is something I can do to get a better pic. on the lcd. I am using Direct tv. satellite for my reception and component cables.
Thanks

rex 04-06-2009 10:14 AM

Re: lcd vs. plasma

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltc (Post 20239)
Hi all, I just purchased a Samsung 52'' lcd hdtv. It is replacing a Panasonic 42'' plasma. The Panasonic had a much better picture than the new Samsung. In the retail store the lcd had a fantastic picture. I hope there is something I can do to get a better pic. on the lcd. I am using Direct tv. satellite for my reception and component cables.
Thanks

Personally, I would return the LCD and buy a plasma. Plasmas give much better quality for the money.

jbk 04-07-2009 04:30 PM

Check this site. Kevin is one of the moderators on audio video revolution and a certified installer and HD guru

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/

You just have to find you model and make the recommended adjustment.

If that doesn't make you happy then returning the set is an option.

JBK

ErnieLane 04-07-2009 04:59 PM

I've got a plasma. When I got it, about a year ago, there was really no LCD that would give anything close. Now, a good LCD is almost as good -- probably close enough that anyone other than the most discriminating videophile won't notice the difference.

But plasmas generate a lot of heat and use a whole buttload of energy. If I had to do it over, I'd get LCD.

gem1201 04-07-2009 07:11 PM

Plasma is definitely better and Panasonic makes some of the best. I've been in the audio field for almost 40 yrs working retail and with manufactures. I dont know where you bought your LCD and I'm not saying that your salesman was dishonest but there are various shall I say " tricks " that are played on the sales floor from way back when. A favorite one was do to the profitbility between some manufactures those sets that were more profitable were usually made to look better on the sales floor then the ones that werent. Also manufactures have spiff programs which could force a salesman to recommend one set over another. If a salesman lets you adjust the color and compare between sets thats where I would shop. Also another favorite trick is shopping for speakers which again has to do with profitbility and spiffs. If a speaker is connected out of polarity, that is + to -, - to +, The woofer will not push outward giving you a decrease in bass response. I agree with the majority of people here that plama is better then LCD any day.

G.M.
c/o Onkyo USA

rbinck 04-07-2009 08:41 PM

I would also agree that plasma gives the best picture assuming you have a tightly light controlled room for it. In brightly lit rooms like mine though, I think they are miserable. The reflections are a deal killer for me. I can't think of anything more annoying that to watch myself watch TV. And as far as blacks being better, while they are definitely, again in a light controlled room, I have noticed they are actually darker than what I see in theaters. I've also noticed on HDNet Movies (which shows a lot of movies with letterboxing) that the dark scenes allways seem to be a bit lighter than the letterbox bars. That tells me that the black is not available in the picture source, so in that case I don't feel I'm getting a lesser picture.

I watch a lot of sports and my LCD is every bit as good as any plasma I've seen because of there is not really any dim pictures during a game.