Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 07-29-2009   #13

Default Re: new tv for me!! help me decide!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstarr View Post
Most of the new plasmas use a lot less power than they once did. For instance one Samsung 50" model LCD uses 170 watts, while a new Panasonic 50" plasma uses 240 watts. That is a nominal difference and certainly undetectable in a room.

On the larger screens, from 50" and above, plasmas often have the price and performance advantage. Heck, there is still no HDTV made that is better then the 50" and 60" Pioneer Kuro's, although some Panny models are getting close. Almost every LCD screen requires that you sit close to dead center if you want to see a proper picture. That problem doesn't exist with plasma's. Hence, you can invite people over to view movies and sports with plasma's and your guests will also be able to view excellent quality pictures.

I own both a Pioneer 60" plasma and a Samsung 55" LED backlit LCD HDTV. Unless you are in a very bright room, both me and my wife prefer the plasma picture.

Greg
Thanks for the great info. You told me a lot about plasmas that I didn't know. I wanted to trade up to a plasma and the store owner who sells both told me I had a whole lot better with my Sony 60" and that I wouldn't be happy with the plasma. I'd rather hear from someone like you.
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #14
Administrator

It will depend on your tolerance for reflections from the screen and the room it will be in. If you have a lot of windows with no heavy drapes and bright colored walls, you may be better off with a LCD screen. One that does not reflect.

When I was in the business (before I retired) I was asked to switch out some plasmas due to glare. Never been asked to switch out a LCD due to picture quality or poor blacks. That may be why they are pushing LCD screens over plasmas or maybe they make more money on LCDs.

If you have good light control, don't use the screen as a computer monitor and want the very best picture then plasmas are the way to go.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #15

If you can get a good deal on a Pioneer or Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma, you will have a great HDTV. Even though Pioneer has stopped producing them, all warranties will be honored for as long as you own the set (not that anything is likely to go awry). The blacks and the gradations of grey to black are better then any other HDTV and this is what creates great contrast. A couple of the Panasonic plasma's are excellent too, although slightly below the excellence of Pioneer. If you have a very bright room you can also consider one of the very good Samsung LED LCD's, although in the larger screen sizes they are quite expensive compared to plasma's.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #16

Quote:
If you can get a good deal on a Pioneer or Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma, you will have a great HDTV. Even though Pioneer has stopped producing them, all warranties will be honored for as long as you own the set (not that anything is likely to go awry). The blacks and the gradations of grey to black are better then any other HDTV and this is what creates great contrast. A couple of the Panasonic plasma's are excellent too, although slightly below the excellence of Pioneer. If you have a very bright room you can also consider one of the very good Samsung LED LCD's, although in the larger screen sizes they are quite expensive compared to plasma's.

Greg
Thanks for the info. I do have a quite a bright room with very light walls. Will that hurt a plama's picture?? Yes I have noticed that the Samsung LED LCD's are quite expensive and I don't really want to go smaller than the 60" I have now. It seems like 60 "chers are very hard to find right now. Thanks again.
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminio View Post
Thanks for the info. I do have a quite a bright room with very light walls. Will that hurt a plama's picture?? Yes I have noticed that the Samsung LED LCD's are quite expensive and I don't really want to go smaller than the 60" I have now. It seems like 60 "chers are very hard to find right now. Thanks again.
Yes it will hurt a plasma's picture to an unusable point in my opinion. Any dark areas will act like a mirror. It will on the Sammy LED LCD as well as I think it also has a highly reflective screen.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #18

Quote:

Greg
Gee what a great idea...buy a product that will no longer be made in which service in the future is gray at best.
There are good buys on the Pontiac too.
PalmHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
46, 46w4100, 46z4100, 750, 850, buy, buying, comparison, decide, forum, glare, lcd, samsung, sound, television, televisions, tv, video