Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Plasma and LCD HDTV (http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lcd-hdtv-20/)
-   -   42" LCD vs Plasmas (http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lcd-hdtv/2589-42-lcd-vs-plasmas.html)

larrymalc 10-02-2008 06:20 PM

42" LCD vs Plasmas

Still weighing the pros & cons before buying. Any info would be welcome especially - actually how much more power consumption a plasma uses over a LCD, does the picture on a Plasma become dimmer over the years and LCD motion blur - is there any blur on Plasma? Durability - which has longer life and more likely to be able to be repaired or tossed to the curb? (Also 1080p or 720p - can you really tell the difference at this size? Would it make any difference if using a blue ray player? Are cable or satallite only 1080i? Would an upscale DVD player be sufficiant?) Just watch Movies & Sports, not a gamer.

Thanks for any info or opnions.

homentertain 11-10-2008 09:14 PM

Re: 42" LCD vs Plasmas

That's good answer jojoyeee.

larrymalc 11-11-2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojoyeee (Post 18333)
Some advantages for Plasma over LCD are: Plasmas have bigger screen size, and with better contrast ratio and ability to render deeper blacks. better color accuracy and saturation. Better motion tracking (little or no motion lag in fast moving images).

LCD television ADVANTAGES over Plasma include:

1. No burn-in of static images.
2. Cooler running temperature.
3. No high altitude use issues.
4. Increased image brightness over Plasma.
5. Longer display life (about 60,000 hours - at which time all you may need to do is replace the light source, not the entire set). This can vary according other environmental and use factors.
6. Lighter weight (when comparing same screen sizes) than Plasma counterparts.

Hope this helps anyway.

Thanks for the info jojoyeee

gem1201 11-11-2008 07:45 PM

Panasonic is now the industry leader in making displays for other manufactures including Pioneer now. The lifetime of their plasma displays is in excess of 100,000 hours. I have been in the consumer electronic business working for various manufacturers for over 30 yrs. In my opinion the Panasonic 42inch plasma ( 1080p ) , which I myself own, is much superior to any LCD in the same size.

G.M.

xsavoie 11-12-2008 08:03 AM

LCD VS Plasma are a fine subject of conversation,but since Mitsubishi's Laser television seems to have just come out,I can hardly wait to see a review about this type of television.Will it put LCD and Plasma in the hall of shame category,or does Laser TV has it's own problems.Of course OLED TV would also be a very interesting option,but as of yet,too expensive and not yet really available on the mass market.

rykerabel 11-13-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojoyeee (Post 18333)
Some advantages for Plasma over LCD are: Plasmas have bigger screen size, and with better contrast ratio and ability to render deeper blacks. better color accuracy and saturation. Better motion tracking (little or no motion lag in fast moving images).

LCD television ADVANTAGES over Plasma include:

1. No burn-in of static images.
2. Cooler running temperature.
3. No high altitude use issues.
4. Increased image brightness over Plasma.
5. Longer display life (about 60,000 hours - at which time all you may need to do is replace the light source, not the entire set). This can vary according other environmental and use factors.
6. Lighter weight (when comparing same screen sizes) than Plasma counterparts.

Hope this helps anyway.

1. current panasonic and pioneer plasma do not suffer burn-in.
2. current panasonic and pioneer plasma's run cooler than many LCDs
3. panasonics never had high altitude use issues.
4. current panasonic plasmas are brighter than most LCDs.
5. current panasonic and pioneer plasmas have 100,000 hours or more life
7. some LCDs are heavy too.

welcome to 2008