Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 03-05-2009   #13

Lightbulb Re: Where is the good source for on line TV buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielstallon View Post
I plan to buy a new TV for my new home. I am confused whether to buy lcd tv or plasma tv, which to buy ? I have surf various sites on the web & I find one site for TV reviews where all TV reviews are there. Still I want to compare the prices with other sources.

Do you know any good sources for on line TV buying?
I reccomend that you go to www.cedia.org and punch in your zip code. This way you will find a professional dealer that will not only give you a low price but back it up like I do with Free Loaners, ISF calibration , 5 year warranties, and White Glove instalation. For My Houston customers we have been beating Amazon pricing and stll giving you the quality service. No TV looks good out of the Box. They all need at least basic ISF calibration. This will cause them last longer, look better, gererate less heat and be more energy effecient.

Last edited by thehifidoc; 03-05-2009 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: grammar adn spelling
thehifidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #14

Exclamation Re: LCD vs Plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstarr View Post
In general, if you are going to be watching your HDTV in a bright or sunlit room, LCD is brighter and often less reflective.

AS an IDF calibrator with 7 years of calibration experience, I have never been able to make an LCD look really good. They just have too many motion and other artifacts. A ladies eye for instance allways has horizontal lines going through it. Then there is the black level and gray scale tracking issue. If you get decent black level by turning down the back light, then the gray scale tracking from dark to light is way off. If you get the gray scale right then you have no blacks, only grays. (liberals love these) PLasma always wins if you have the ability to close windows or to tilt or turn the screen enough to eliminate the glare issue.

If you can control the light and want at least a 42" set or more, plasma is generally considerably better and usually cheaper in the 42" and higher size sets--except they use about 1/4 to 1/3 more electricity than LCD's.

IF the TV is ISF calibrated a Plasma will likely use little more power than an LCD because LCS backlights run all the time full on.

If you can afford them, Pioneer and Pioneer Elite Kuro sets have the deepest blacks--hence the best contrast, but Pansonics are much cheaper and also very good. WE have Pioneer KURO 60s for 2995.000 and 50s for 2250.00 making them very affordable indeed.

Greg
thehifidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #15

Default Re: Where is the good source for on line TV buying?

There are many-onecall.com, bestbuy.com, amazon.com, abt.com, vanns.com, newegg.com or you can check multiple sources at bottomdollar.com or shopping.com. You still might find a deal at your local Circuit City store if there's any product left and don't mind buying from a company that's going out of business! If you are a member of Sam's Club or Costco, they have limited selection on their websites but you can find deals sometimes. Samsclub.com has an online auction where you can get a GREAT deal on TVs or many other items if you don't mind going the bidding route, though I'm not sure if you have to be a member to participate. If possible, find an area dealer; someone like the HiFi Doc who posted earlier who can not only give a good deal but back it up with calibration, service, etc. The price MAY be a tad higher-maybe not-but it's worth it if it is.

Last edited by Rorer714; 03-05-2009 at 10:48 PM..
Rorer714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #16

Folks,
Have bought A LOT of displays for clients at http://www.visualapex.com and was ALWAYS happy.................great service department!!!
Bob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #17
Banned

Bestbuy and onecall are good places to go.
homentertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #18

IMHO Amazon is by far the best! Amazon has Great low pricing, a generous return policy, a 30 day price protection guarantee (against their own price reductions), and ususally has free white glove delivery.
mzizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
6020fd, avrev, buying, code, good, have, lcdsets, promotion, review, selling, source, television, thehighdefinitionstorecom, vizio, wwwthehighdefinitionstorecom