Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 07-16-2007   #7

Default Re: 720P vs 1080i?

Thanks to all for your input and opinions on this debate. Switching gears for a moment - I called my cable company, Comcast, and HD programming is $7 per month per TV for 12 channels and $12 per month for the DVR. This is in addition to the $70 per month I already pay.

Is Satellite TV the way to go at this point? Are the advantages greater than cable and if so, what are they? Also, do any recorders (either Tivo or DVRs) record in 1080P or just 720P/1080i?

Thanks!

bkj
bk jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #8

Hi BKJ,

Yeah I know the cable companies are in general total ripoff artists. My system here in NYC is Time Warner and they are outrageous. Unfortunately, I don;t have much choice living in a co-op apt unless I can convince the whole building to go DirecTV.

Speaking of that yes I think DirecTV will have the upperhand shortly. They have launched 1 of 3 new Satellites they claim will all be devoted to HD, eventually bringing their HD channel offerings to 150. It has been slow in the making, but I think we will see many additional channels and a switch to MPED4 this fall.
Email: kevin@ISFTV.COM
Web Site: www.ISFTV.COM ; www.tweaktv.com
Founding Imaging Science Foundation Member since 1994. Industry Consultant ~ ISF Instructor
Contributing Editor to CNET.COM, & AVRev.com
Kevin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #9

No DVR's record in 1080p. As far as Sat. I use Dish net. It has over 30 channels of HD right now. Dish will also have a new sat up in a couple of months that will start the move to an all MPEG 4 system. As far as Directv being the leader that is going to be a toss up. There will be very few channels that they will get that Dish doesn't get, in addition to those new channels Dish already has more HD than Directv. Part of what you will need to look at is does Dish or Directv carry your OTA channels as well as being able to pick them up OTA. The picture quality of Dish HD right now is a little better right now. I happen to know that Directv is now buying the same co's encoders that Dish is using. So maybe both will have the same pq after both get their 2 new birds (2 each) up and running. To find out more about satellite you should look at the sat forums: DBStalk.com & Satelliteguys.com
whatchel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080i, 720p, aspect, atsc, audio, bluray, broadcast, comcast, directv, dvd, forum, picture, projector, ratio, video, vs