Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 07-06-2007   #7

Default Do you really care?

Which one is VHS and or Beta isn't really relevant as much as if you want to see what your HDTV can really do - you need a player for one of the formats.

And for the record - the Sony Blu-ray is $499 retail and one of the best HD DVD players is the A20 (with a DVDO processor) and it is under $400 now with some rebates.

I bet you could sell some extra cables and some odd compontnets from your system and raise enough money to buy a player. For me - I just sell blood at the blood bank or on ebay (whichever one will take me when I need my AV fix)
Old 07-23-2007   #8

Default Re: Is It Worth It???

Little late on my response, but I have had a busy couple of weeks.

I do have a Phillips 55" HDTV and the cable company I use has a few HDTV channels. I love the quality and watch the hi-def channels as often as possible.

I want to upgrade to a hi-def dvd player soon, but as I stated earlier, I do not want to get caught holding a bunch of BETA tapes when the VHS takes over the market.

So, too me it is very relavent as to which one will become the market leader.

Some of the readers here are not old enough to remember the "tape" wars; I am, and fortunately for me I chose the correct path in the past. I want to keep on that path, and invest in the technology that I can get the most from for my dollars.
Texaswheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #9

Now is the time.

Pick a player and get it working.

Then before you invest more than the say $500 - rent your movies from Netflix. When you see one you MUST own - buy it. Otherwise, just enjoy the 1080p video in ways your cable company can't give you.
Old 07-26-2007   #10

Smile Re: Is It Worth It???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaswheel View Post
So has anyone decided which format is the VHS and which one is the BETA yet ?

I will wait another 6 months to a year before I spend $600 on something that may or may not last a couple of years or be the industry standard to come.
I with you on that. A "universal dvd player can play any disc you want, just about. I would stay right there, until all the confusion settles down. And you know, neither Sony or Toshiba are going to back down, unless something serious happens. So, we`ll see.
I just saw that Denon`s new flagship player will be a Blu - Ray, interesting.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #11
jbk

If you have a 1080p HDTV it probably is worth it. Who will win? I'm not sure but isn't Blockbuster going to rent Blu Ray dvds? And, won't they sell them at pre-viewed dvds later for those people who don't want to spring for full cost.

Will some manufacture like OPPO make a full blu ray or hd dvd player? Or, are the liscensing right stupid expensive like they were for SACD initially?

Does anyone know which formant the Star Wars series will be issued on? Or, Harry Potter? There a lot of sales in those two franchises!

jbk
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #12

Star Wars will be on Blu-ray most likely since its a Fox title and they just announced major support for only Blu-ray.
bryan562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, ray, worth