Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 07-05-2008   #1
rex

Default Anybody know why LCD's suffer from motion blur?

I was wondering why newer LCD displays with refresh rates of 120Hz and response times less than 8 milliseconds still suffer from motion blur? Does anyone know why?
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #2

Default Re: Anybody know why LCD's suffer from motion blur?

Response time is the biggest factor.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #3
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Response time is the biggest factor.
Right, that is what I thought too. But even the latest LCD's with very fast response times, still have motion blurr. If the response time < 8ms then each pixel has time to fully respond each time the screen is refreshed at 120Hz, because 1/120 = .008 sec = 8ms, approximately.
My hunch is that the motion blurr has something to do with the way the human eye sees images, or processes visual information. Though I don't know why for sure. Nor do I understand the difference with plasmas which don't suffer from motion blurr even at slower refresh rates like 60Hz. Puzzling isn't it?
Old 07-09-2008   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Though I don't know why for sure. Nor do I understand the difference with plasmas which don't suffer from motion blurr even at slower refresh rates like 60Hz. Puzzling isn't it?

Plasma's do not suffer from motion blur at all. This is because of their pixel structure has an instant response time. Either the pixel is on, or its off. As for LCD's with the backlight being constantly on, each pixel has to turn off, block light, and process incoming signal and turn back on, and I think this has something to do with the pixel [trying to] block light and process an incoming signal and turn back on. I think it is moreso noticable on larger displays of > 46". A 32", 37", and 40" I believe are the optimal screen sizes for LCD's where motion blur is minimized, but when the screen is larger, as in 46", 52", 57", 70", ect, the tiniest of details are amplified, and we see them more clearly, or blurry in this case.
Ttone305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
I was wondering why newer LCD displays with refresh rates of 120Hz and response times less than 8 milliseconds still suffer from motion blur? Does anyone know why?
Rex,
This is a very good question! I am not very knowledgeable on this subject but this is what I could find.....
LCD Motion blur is largely caused by the hold-type rendering method of LCDs together with the motion pursuing function of human visual system. This hold-type motion blur happens not on the LCD screens but in human eyes, so it cannot be captured by a still camera and therefore is physiological. Even if response time is reduced to zero, motion-blur will be observed.
So it appears, LCDs don't suffer from motion blur but the brain does.

Here are the names of 2 papers that provided this information:
LCD MOTION BLUR MODELING AND ANALYSIS - Sharp Labs of America
Nonlinearity compensated smooth frame insertion for motion-blur reduction in LCD - Samsung Electronics Co
7625 QSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #6
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7625 QSC View Post
This hold-type motion blur happens not on the LCD screens but in human eyes, so it cannot be captured by a still camera and therefore is physiological. Even if response time is reduced to zero, motion-blur will be observed.
So it appears, LCDs don't suffer from motion blur but the brain does.

Here are the names of 2 papers that provided this information:
LCD MOTION BLUR MODELING AND ANALYSIS - Sharp Labs of America
Nonlinearity compensated smooth frame insertion for motion-blur reduction in LCD - Samsung Electronics Co
That is very interesting. Thanks for the information.
However, if motion blur would still occur in the mind, even with a zero response time, then I still don't see why it doesn't happen with plasmas too.
Sponsored Links

Tags
32, 52, 8ms, blur, blurry, calibration, forum, hdtv, human, lcd, motion, response, samsung, screen, time