Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 05-02-2009   #19

Default Re: Anybody know why LCD's suffer from motion blur?

How us DLP display minority users? Never have noticed motion blur on my 56" Samsung.
By the way, what happened to DLPs?
John Sunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #20
Administrator

Not sure what you mean by minority users. I guess they are not very popular these days?

The flat panel displays have made both technical and pricing advances that allows crowding out of all of the RPTV types. RPTVs only have a few years left, imo.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #21
Banned

My hunch is that the motion blurr has something to do with the way the human eye sees images, or processes visual information
stardvd555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #22

Here's a response I plagiarized, to a question on why Blu-ray looks "cartoonish".

"No, Blu Ray has nothing whatsoever to do with the "cartoon" impression you are getting when you see it in the stores.

A lot of people have seen Blu Ray demos in stores and found the image to have a sort of odd, too-sharp, strangely too-real look, where movies don't really look like movies anymore.

Here is what is happening. Most of the time these days Blu Rays are demonstrated on new LCD flat panels. Many of the new LCD flat panels have a feature that reduces motion blur (LCDs have had a history of having more blur with fast motion than plasma, so LCD makers have tried to come up with solutions).

It goes by various names depending on the manufacturer of the set, but it's mostly known to AV-types as "Frame Interpolation" which is a fairly accurate description of what it does. Basically, it's a feature that looks at two frames of movement (which will have blur) and it creates a "new" frame in between, sort of a guess/mix of both frames, so the part of the motion that was "missing" (not captured by the camera) is placed in there. The effect is to reduce the effect of the blurred motion - edges even when in movement look very crisp.

This does indeed clear up and sharpen the look of the picture. We are very used to seeing a lot more blur with movement, especially in movies captured at 24 frames per second in movie film. So the big complaint with this process - and I agree heartily - is that it tends to make the image look oddly sharp, clear that for movies at least doesn't make it look like film. It makes it look like super-sharp HD video, and as such, at the same time as the image looks more impressive in sharpness/motion, it tends to give a sort of "cheap, video" look to film. Almost like you are watching those behind-the-scenes extras on a DVD shot in video, rather than the film itself.

Exacerbating this effect is how most LCDs are set up with terrible picture settings, pumping up the contrast and color unnaturally.

So none of this is an inherent characteristic of Blu Ray - it's the displays on which it is being shown.

Since Blu Ray actually captures film information more smoothly, less coarse than SD DVD, when you watch it properly displayed it actually looks LESS cartoony and more like real film than anything we've had up to this point. (At least if the transfer is good).

I swear, these new displays using frame interpolation to show Blu Rays have caused so many "I think Blu Ray looks weird" comments from unsuspecting consumers that I've lost count. But...that's the AV retail environment for you. Not always it's own best friend."
oscar_in_fw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #23

Are IMAX movies unreal because of their sharpness? I don't believe in LCD displays. My Kuro Plasma with Blu-Ray is very sharp, but I don't fault it for its sharpness. However, I would say that I have seen artifacts in LCD displays and the created inter-frame frames frequently can be just wrong. I think it is just a feature that is a "patch" that isn't for prime time. However, all that said, I would guess that the general buyer will accept it because frequently allows for a cheaper set.
Mitchell Erblich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #24

a lot of plasma's have 600Mhz driven sub-fields, so they would still be able to change the display 5 times faster than 120Hz lcd's, even though there really aren't sources faster than 60Hz. I suspect you see the transition of the pixel.
kunst77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
32, 52, 8ms, blur, blurry, calibration, forum, hdtv, human, lcd, motion, response, samsung, screen, time