Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 05-22-2008   #13

Default Re: 40" and larger OLED TVs in 2009!

Sony to boost OLED production

From CNET,

May 22, 2008 10:11 AM PDT
Sony plans to boost production of ultra-thin TVs

That recent report questioning the longevity of Sony's OLED television displays apparently has done little to deter the company's headlong rush into the new technology.

The company is reportedly spending $210 million to manufacture medium to large versions of the paper-thin displays in fiscal 2009, according to Engadget. That's a big step up for the screens, which use less power and are far more flexible than plasmas or LCDs. To date the only OLED TVs actually on the market have displays that measure just 11 inches, hardly a size that can compete in a market where 42- and 50-plus inch models seem the norm.

The move comes none too soon, because Sony will need to step up production if it hopes to make a dent with OLED TVs in the near future. At the current price of $2,500 for an 11-inch screen, there's a dire need to create demand in a hypercompetitive business.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #14
rex

Default Sony announces OLED breakthrough!

Sony also announced (at the SID conference) an OLED breakthrough in producing blues more efficiently (using less energy) which has been the biggest technical problem so far in producing larger panels. Using less energy to produce blues, presumably means the panels will last longer:

"Idemitsu and Sony today announced the achievement of 28.5% internal quantum efficiency (IQE) in deep blue fluorescent OLED devices, the world’s highest level of luminous efficiency for this technology. This ground-breaking development is a result of Idemitsu´s advanced OLED material technologies and Sony’s OLED device expertise. The use of Sony’s proprietary “Super Top Emission” OLED device technology has enabled blue color deepness exceeding NTSC standards to be achieved. With this technology significantly reducing the driving current of blue OLEDs, the most energy-intensive of the three primary RGB colors, it is expected to significantly reduce the power consumption of OLED panels, contributing to the future development of large-size OLED TVs."

http://www.fareastgizmos.com/media_d...scent_oled.php
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #15

Default Re: 50" OLED prototype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
I know Samsung has been showing off a 31" prototype at CES and such: http://gizmodo.com/342912/samsungs-3...t-thinnest-yet
They have even had a 40" prototype since at least as far back as 2005: http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=308
I think the biggest technical problem to date with the prototypes has been screen longevity.
Hmm. A 50" proto? OK, I am stumped. Please don't keep us in suspense any longer!
I love this line in the 1st article. "Plasma's not dead, but LCD might be."
whatchel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #16

Default Re: 50" OLED prototype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
I know Samsung has been showing off a 31" prototype at CES and such: http://gizmodo.com/342912/samsungs-3...t-thinnest-yet
They have even had a 40" prototype since at least as far back as 2005: http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=308
I think the biggest technical problem to date with the prototypes has been screen longevity.
Hmm. A 50" proto? OK, I am stumped. Please don't keep us in suspense any longer!
They mentioned having had a previously bigger prototype. These prototypes are no where near close to being ready for prime time from what I've been told. We may see a 32 inch in the next year at a show, and possibly a 40 inch.

they just won't be close to production.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #17

Default What do you mean by saying it?

What do you mean by saying it?
stannyabnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, 40, 50, automation, hdtv, home, jaguar, larger, oled, oled2009, released, sony, sticker, systemoled2009, tvs