Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 05-13-2008   #7

Default Re: 50" OLED prototype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
I think the biggest technical problem to date with the prototypes has been screen longevity.
You are right, and more to the point, the longevity of the various colors is different so as the set wears, the color changes....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #8

Default Re: 40" and larger OLED TVs in 2009!

Hi Kenny,

I had heard early on that they were having huge problems with the Blue. Obviously engineers must have figured that problem out (blue decaying after about 200 hours or so). I remain skeptical about the big screen claims for next year. We shall see!
Email: kevin@ISFTV.COM
Web Site: www.ISFTV.COM ; www.tweaktv.com
Founding Imaging Science Foundation Member since 1994. Industry Consultant ~ ISF Instructor
Contributing Editor to CNET.COM, & AVRev.com
Kevin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #9
rex

Default Sony OLED fall short of claims

Even the smaller Sonys don't live up to the claims:

Recently Sony announced it would launch a very flat OLED TV. The Sony XEL-1 will become the first TV on the market using the new OLED technology which is said to be superior in picture quality and energy consumption compared to current technology such as plasma and LCD. The XEL-1 will only have a screen diagonal of 11 inches and will cost about $2500. However you pay for the novelty.
For that price it's normal to expect to enjoy your TV for a long time and currently the best known drawback for OLED is the lifetime of the screen. A research firm has tested if the life expectancy that Sony claims is viable. During their research in which they ran two of the units for 1000 hours they noticed a drop in brightness which would, if they extrapolated the data would take 17000 hours for the display to lose half its brightness. Sony claims this should be 30000 hours, almost two times more. 30000 hours however would be about 10 years of normal use for consumers.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/05...rch_sony_oled/

Last edited by rex; 05-24-2008 at 10:59 AM..
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #10
rex

Default Sumitomo - we won't be able to make OLED TVs in 2009, sorry!

An informed source at Cambridge Display Technology, the company that develops the polymer light emitting materials (P-OLEDs) to be used in the forthcoming TVs, says “Sumitomo is working with partners so the timing of any product launch is not just [its] call.” The source goes on to say Sumitomo President Hiromasa Yonekura was “misquoted” in his speech regarding the development of OLED TVs and the timescale placed upon their release. . .

You will probably have heard of the OLED (which stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode) already, but you probably don’t know two rival technologies exist within it. Small Molecule OLEDs (SMOLEDs) are the most widely used version, already employed by companies such as Samsung in a few of their mobile phones. These are created by heating up the organic matter and evaporating it onto a template, thus creating a display. This is a complex process and can sometimes be only 5% efficient, as a lot of materials are lost in the evaporation process. P-OLEDs, also knows as PLEDs or Light Emitting Polymers, can be directly printed into a TV design using an inkjet printer, thus making them a lot more efficient. However, PLED displays have not been able to perform as well as SMOLEDs in the past, and were less cost-effective.

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...by-2009-368369
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #11

Hi All,

Well I have been invited by Sony to Japan to see the Bravia manufacturing facility, and I understand there will be information on the company's OLED plans.. I plan to write a story on it for our new online venture at wwwtweaktv.com That will be up the week of June 16th barring any embargos.
Email: kevin@ISFTV.COM
Web Site: www.ISFTV.COM ; www.tweaktv.com
Founding Imaging Science Foundation Member since 1994. Industry Consultant ~ ISF Instructor
Contributing Editor to CNET.COM, & AVRev.com
Kevin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Miller View Post
Hi All,

Well I have been invited by Sony to Japan to see the Bravia manufacturing facility, and I understand there will be information on the company's OLED plans.. I plan to write a story on it for our new online venture at wwwtweaktv.com That will be up the week of June 16th barring any embargos.
That sounds excellent. I look forward to that.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, 40, 50, automation, hdtv, home, jaguar, larger, oled, oled2009, released, sony, sticker, systemoled2009, tvs