Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 05-09-2008   #1
rex

Default Pioneer unveils 9G Kuros

At a New York press conference Pioneer unveiled the new plasma models as well as announced Pioneer's first front projector, four new receivers, and two new BD players: http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/050908pioneer/
"Pioneer didn't go into detail about the technical specifics, instead settling for a dramatic juxtaposition. Set up in a demo room were six screens: the new Kuro, the old Kuro, other plasmas by Samsung and Panasonic, and LCDs by Samsung and Sony. No doubt the other manufacturers, if asked, might have some pertinent questions about the way their competitor calibrated the sets. But the new Kuro clearly showed the deepest black, followed by the old Kuro, the other plasmas, and the LCDs. Color fidelity and resolution were great though I wouldn't say the other entrants were slouches in those departments."

Will the 10G models finally have absolute black levels?
It would also be very interesting to see a side-by-side of the new Kuros with the new Pannies.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #2

Default Re: Pioneer unveils 9G Kuros

I can't wait to see the new models @ CEDIA, or anywhere I can find them sooner! The Kuro's are awesome, I can't imagine them getting significantly better, but am glad they did!

I heard of their projector, but haven't heard anything about it's image yet.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #3
rex

Default Re: Pioneer unveils new Kuros

I admit that in a careful side-by-side comparison the current (8G) generation of Kuros has noticeably superior black levels than the current Panasonics. (Each person must decide if this, in my opinion modest, improvement is worth the extra $$.) Since the new Pannys are supposed to have significantly improved black levels, it will be interesting to see if they have finally caught up with the Kuros. The LCoS projector can only be purchased thru custom installers.
You can see pictures of all of the new products here: http://www.cepro.com/slideshow/image/2619/
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #4

Hi All,

I have calibrated a few of the new Panasonic models and yes the blacks are significantly better than the previous generation. Whether they are as good as the Pioneers in this regard is hard to tell without an A/B comparison. Still the blacks are very compelling.
Email: kevin@ISFTV.COM
Web Site: www.ISFTV.COM ; www.tweaktv.com
Founding Imaging Science Foundation Member since 1994. Industry Consultant ~ ISF Instructor
Contributing Editor to CNET.COM, & AVRev.com
Kevin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #5

One thing seems to be for sure Kevin, and that is Panasonic continues to improve and not rest on its laurels, and make great sets at reasonable prices.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #6

Yes indeed! I have long considered their plasma product the best value in the category. The funny thing is their LCDs are not very good at all.
Email: kevin@ISFTV.COM
Web Site: www.ISFTV.COM ; www.tweaktv.com
Founding Imaging Science Foundation Member since 1994. Industry Consultant ~ ISF Instructor
Contributing Editor to CNET.COM, & AVRev.com
Kevin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2007, 9g, calibration, front, kuros, model, panasonic, pioneer, plasma, plasmas, projector, released, sold, technology, website