Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Plasma and LCD HDTV (http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lcd-hdtv-20/)
-   -   First-ever THX certified displays: Panasonic PZ800 & LG PG60 series (http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lcd-hdtv/1883-first-ever-thx-certified-displays-panasonic-pz800-lg-pg60-series.html)

rex 04-26-2008 07:36 PM

First-ever THX certified displays: Panasonic PZ800 & LG PG60 series

The Panasonic PZ800 series, along with the new LG "frameless" PG60 series will be the first displays to meet THX display certification requirements. It remains to be seen how meaningful this certification is. Hopefully this certification will become a new, much-needed benchmark for display quality performance, rather than just another marketing gimmick. In an interview with Audioholics, Dr. Michael Rudd, Chief of AV Architecture at THX Ltd states "The specification covers about 400 data points and close to 30 tests. We start by getting the color imagery correct, then work our way through contrast, brightness and standard user controls. The video signal processing tests are performed closer to the end of the testing cycle. Because we have been able to automate much of the data acquisition, testing can be completed in just over a week or so. We actually list all of our testing at:http://www.thx.com/products/home/displays/testing.html."

To simplify out-of-the-box calibration, certified displays will feature "THX movie mode": "We consider THX Movie Mode to be the best out of box experience possible. And since we test and evaluate each product, this setting is consistent across all display technologies. THX Movie Mode sets the red, green and blue primaries (color management), the luminance, as well as the black level, the correct value of gamma and correct tracking of the white-point with gamma. We opted to use white point instead of color temperature, since it is more precise. Many of these parameters are not accessible to consumers even from the service menu. So, THX Movie Mode provides them a simple way to get the right settings with just a push of a button. In addition, THX Movie Mode ensures that a display complies with the HDTV standards and will present HD content correctly." Does this feature mean that ISF calibrators will soon be out of a job?
Please post any comments or opinions about what this new display certification may (or may not) mean for the industry.

For the full interview, see: http://www.audioholics.com/education...logy/thx-video

deacongreg 04-27-2008 04:35 PM

Re: First-ever THX certified displays: Panasonic PZ800 & LG PG60 series

I have always felt that the people at THX are good for the AV industry. They believe their should be a standard, and a very high standard set, for AV equipment. However, we all know that not every manufacturer, for whatever reason, does not flow or follow with them.

In this day of high tech and HD with its many changing technologies, I think THX could play an important role. The question is, and still remains, will everyone jump on board?

i30krab 04-27-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 14366)
I have always felt that the people at THX are good for the AV industry. They believe their should be a standard, and a very high standard set, for AV equipment. However, we all know that not every manufacturer, for whatever reason, does not flow or follow with them.

In this day of high tech and HD with its many changing technologies, I think THX could play an important role. The question is, and still remains, will everyone jump on board?

Also the question still remains will these new displays be at a price point where the average hard working HT enthusiast can afford to buy one?

rex 04-27-2008 07:34 PM

My initial reaction when I heard about this, (and saw the rigorous testing involved) was positive. Anything that promotes quality standards in the industry can only benefit the consumer. Still, I think that as long as certification and the right to display the THX logo is purchased by the manufacturer, the significance remains somewhat suspect (although clearly their brand is far too important for THX to put their stamp of approval on just anything). It is unclear whether more manufacturers will seek THX certification, and whether or not consumers will care about it. I, for one, would much prefer to see a list of all models that fail certification, if any, along with the reasons for their failure, though that will never happen.

deacongreg 04-28-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rex (Post 14380)
My initial reaction when I heard about this, (and saw the rigorous testing involved) was positive. Anything that promotes quality standards in the industry can only benefit the consumer. Still, I think that as long as certification and the right to display the THX logo is purchased by the manufacturer, the significance remains somewhat suspect (although clearly their brand is far too important for THX to put their stamp of approval on just anything). It is unclear whether more manufacturers will seek THX certification, and whether or not consumers will care about it. I, for one, would much prefer to see a list of all models that fail certification, if any, along with the reasons for their failure, though that will never happen.

That is very interesting, a list. but, like you said, I do not see that happening. Though I feel having a standard, I always felt would protect the consumer, and promote good quality control from all the manufacturers. However, I have no documentation to prove that.